ID for trees and shrubs

ImpatientGardenerImpatientGardener Posts: 234
Top two pics are from the same tree/shrub.
Bottom 2 pics are trees. You'd think "tree with clusters of flowers" would be easy to find. Google is not my friend.

This is the same plant - is it some kind of hellebore? I find it so ugly. Spiky leaves and self-seeding by the looks of it.
Paint your fence!

• ImpatientGardenerImpatientGardener Posts: 234
    Oh, and I forgot about this one. Spiky shrub.  I didn't think it was a type of berberis. Stabbed me in the thumb whilst I was pruning it. Beast.

Paint your fence!
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 1,150
    edited 16 May
    Top left Euonymus sp..common name spindle.
    Middle ...Looks like Prunus padus...common name bird cherry.
    Next ...seed pods of Helleborus.
    Last...Pyracantha

it would really help to have clear single images which can be enlarged...4 small images are hard to see clearly
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 997
    The hellebore looks like Hellebore argutifolius. Rather nice plants I think ...
    edited 16 May
    Thanks.
    Agreed on prunus padus, thanks. Standing under it is very noisy, the bees love it!
    Agreed on euonymus europaea. Very unlike all of my other euonymus varieties which are a lot floppier and less tree-like.
    Same with hellebore argutifolius - can I take off the seed pods and plant the seeds where I want them? It might be ugly but I can plant in the front garden where I don't need to look at it :D
    I'm surprised about the pyracantha! I don't remember this shrub having any bright orange berries in autumn so I'll need to keep my eye out this year.
    Here's a full size pic of the last unknown tree.

Paint your fence!
    edited 17 May
    Last pic shows a cherry tree..... Prunus sp.
    It may just be Prunus avium.....commonly called wild cherry, sweet cherry, or gean,

The deciduous Euonymus shrub/trees are wonderful and underrate.
    I love them all.
    Some go a stunning colour in the autumn...many have fun seed capsules.
    See a few examples below.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
    @Silver surfer Those deciduous euonymus are indeed magnificent, especially the deep autumnal red! Can they be layered in the same way evergreens can? Got some low lying branches that would be perfect candidates. Here’s a pic: 

Paint your fence!
    No idea what this shrub is:

This one might be a berberis of some kind? Not sure what the red/black speckled leaves mean. Some kind of disease I supposed. I also don't know what the plant with the white flower at the bottom is. Any ideas?
    Paint your fence!
    edited 19 May
    Glad you liked the Euonymus pics.
    The first 2 are Euonymus alatus compacta.
    Will leave propagation advice to others...you need the plant to start with.

Your pic above above..... not sure why you would want many more Cotoneaster so near to parent plant. You do know that they can grow huge...tree size?

Please can I suggest that in future you start a new thread for new pics.
    The shrubs just above...
    1. Looks to me to be suckers from the tree behind.
    Maybe Amelanchier.
    2. Is a Mahonia. Maybe Mahonia aquifolium.
    Or as the latest thoughts are Berberis.
    Mahonia have been renamed to Berberis!

https://www.google.com/search?q=mahonia+aquifolium&client=firefox-b-d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi_wqyAmKfiAhWjShUIHdv5B2YQ_AUIDigB&biw=1920&bih=944
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
    edited 19 May
    @Silversurfer What are you talking about cotoneaster...? I thought that was identified as as a euonymus/spindle? #confused
    I want to layer the "cotoneaster" or "spindle" (what it is, maybe it's both mixed together?!) to make some new plants so that I can plant them elsewhere.
    1. The tree behind was recently identified as a bird cherry. I didn't think these were attached to the tree but I'll have a proper look.
    2. Mahonia aquifolium indeed, commonly known as holly-leaved barberry.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berberidaceae
    Paint your fence!
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 2,746
    The last photo, the small white flowers are Candytuft, Iberis Sempervirens. I agree the glossy leaf shrub could be Mahonia Aquifolium. 

The first photo @08:11 is a Cotoneaster shrub. Maybe Cotoneaster Bullatus. Best to take soft wood cuttings at this time of year. I have never done it for this shrub before, so not sure if it's an easy shrub to grow, but on checking up on it, I note that this shrub is now listed as an invasive shrub. It just means, you should take care in how you dispose of it.