The Cuttings Thread

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,256
    Best for cutting material is quite thick pieces, floppy spindly bits are not good. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• HexagonHexagon Posts: 1,021
    @Lyn, you were saying in another thread about using osteospermum for cuttings - is that so you have self-grown annuals for next year? I've got a couple of osteos so I wouldn't mind keeping the supply going if it's possible.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,569
    Two years ago I pulled a low branch of my hebe down to the ground, piled soil over it and weighted it down with a couple of rocks.  I left it to its own devices and three months ago I removed the rocks, scraped away the soil, and found it had rooted in three places.  I cut it into three, potted two and planted the largest at the back of a border.  Happy to say they are all thriving.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,256
    Orchidia said:
    @Lyn, you were saying in another thread about using osteospermum for cuttings - is that so you have self-grown annuals for next year? I've got a couple of osteos so I wouldn't mind keeping the supply going if it's possible.
    Yes, that’s what I do, my daughter who lives over the border in Cornwall keeps hers from year to year, but sometimes mine die, hence the cuttings just in case, as it happens all mine planted in tubs did survive the winter. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• I’ve been trying to grow roses in particular from cuttings over the last few months - by far the most successful method seems to be to cover the cutting with a jam jar and make sure not in direct sunlight - most other methods haven’t seemed to work for me!
  • HazybHazyb Posts: 288
    Did these last week. Just checked them and they seem ok ….. so far

Pittosporum Tom Thumb, Hydrangea Runaway Bride, Verbena Bonarensis and a Weigela. 

I currently have 2 buddleia in a pot of sandy soil which seem to be ok, not sure when to check them for roots. Also trying out a bunch of things in water which saves on space and mess. One day I will get roots from something!
  • NanabooNanaboo Posts: 1,057

Orchidia You reminded me I have a couple of buddleia in the shade of other plants which I did last year. Just had a look they seem to be OK if not good lot's of roots.
    Well it's been a week, maybe time tomorrow to check the cuttings.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,882
    About eight bits of a salvia Bumble prunings and all have taken. Some have flowers coming - on plants two inches tall. Amazing plants.