The Cuttings Thread

• B3B3 Posts: 11,327
    I just poked some bowles mauve clippings in a pot as i was passing last year. They've all taken. Not sure what I'll do with them all!
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • HexagonHexagon Posts: 1,014
    LG_ said:
    I'd like to see some roots within 4-6 weeks.
    Wouldn't we all?! But with many cuttings it's a long game. 
    Well actually, what I'd REALLY like, is just to chop off any bit of plant, stick it in the ground and it to stay alive and be a new plant in exactly the size I wanted ;)
    Weigela softwood cuttings done. Now I should put them in a plastic bag so they don’t dry out?

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,234
    Cut all the leaves diagonally in half. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Done!
  • I am so happy I’ve found this thread as I was about to make a post about this...

I’m dying to get a cutting from my ceanothus to give to my mum but I keep failing and have no idea what i’m Doing to be honest. I’ve read RHS about cuttings but I need more visual aid I think to understand it better! 

Ive attached a photo of my plant! 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,414
    Ceanothus are not the easiest shrub to persuade to strike from a cutting ... a very experienced gardener of my acquaintance was thrilled when she managed it after several years of trying ... but there’s nothing to be gained by not having a go. Some info here https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=354

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Could you divide the plant and give half to your mum? (I have no idea, but this would be my preferred method if it was at all possible to do this.)
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,414
    Ceanothus is a shrub rather than a herbaceous plant ... very few shrubs lend themselves to being divided. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• well now I know why nthese plants have a £50 price tag in the garden centres for a foot high one.
    Thanks for the info @Dovefromabove and if I could @ImpatientGardener I would. I'm guessing when i do take the cuttings I do the same process as @ImpatientGardener has done?