The Cuttings Thread

• NanabooNanaboo Posts: 1,057
    edited May 2019
     Last year I took Euonymus. You need to take the cuttings in Sept/Oct, put them in a cold frame and the should be ready by spring, just potted mine up to next size pot.
    Holly Sep?Oct, I wound the base before adding rooting powder.
    Weigela Oct/Now, wound base the rooting powder.
    Buddleia Hardwood Nov, or nodal cutting June/July.
    Clematis double-leaf June/July, cover with plastic bug propped up on small sticks.
    Roses Oct, scrap of some of the outer part of the cutting use rooting powder.I do mine in deep pots you need to take a 9 to 12 inch cutting pots and leave by the house wall.

This is what one of my Clematis cuttings is like this morning. The cuttings were taken two years ago I had five in total the rest are on the back fence and one given to a friend.

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 5,473
    @raisingirl re the continus, l can't see any harm in giving layering a try. Presumably you do it the same way as clematis. I tried growing cotinus from seed and it did germinate, overwintered in a cold frame, then just as l was congratulating myself on my genius, promptly died. It did exactly the same the following year as well 🙄.
    I can't try the layering as it is actually my neighbour's shrub, but l'd be interested to know if it works.
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 1,202
    I was told by an RHS person that cotinus is v difficult, I have tried every method many times as the tree is precious but needed a serious chop. RHS said prune in Feb and go mad so I did last year and stuck dozens of bits in the ground, in pots outdoors and in the greenhouse depending on their size and origin.

I believe I have two successful strikes from semi-ripe bits in pots outdoors, can't see any movement on any others atm. Feeling stupidly chuffed, very anxious and trying not to fiddle with these two!
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,530
    edited May 2019
    Ive not tried conifer cuttings  ... a horticultural student told me they were really tricky, but some folk seem to have no problems. 
    This horticulture student did heeled cuttings of Thuja on the course, every single one of which has taken with no effort whatsover... But I don't actually want any more conifers!
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,530
    I'd like to see some roots within 4-6 weeks.
    Wouldn't we all?! But with many cuttings it's a long game. 
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,657
    LG_ said:
    Ive not tried conifer cuttings  ... a horticultural student told me they were really tricky, but some folk seem to have no problems. 
    This horticulture student did heeled cuttings of Thuja on the course, every single one of which has taken with no effort whatsover... But I don't actually want any more conifers!
    Sod’s law innit 🙄 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• UpNorthUpNorth South Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK Posts: 344
    propagating fans, i would highly recommend a recent RHS book "propagating plants" it's bang uptodate and absolutely great, in-depth look at propagating different trees/shrubs, perrenials, biennials.  i learned that keeping oily seeds over winter you need to keep them a little moist ( castor oil....obviously the reason mine dessicated last winter).

We have it out from local library ( makes a change, them having new books!).  it says £20 on the back cover but i suspect Amazon or used copies would improve that.
  • UpNorthUpNorth South Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK Posts: 344
    p.s. i'm not at home now, or i'd lookup the Cotinus!
  • HexagonHexagon Posts: 1,049
    Maybe it would be quicker to lift and divide. Not feeling very optimistic at the moment.
  • HexagonHexagon Posts: 1,049
    edited May 2019
    Right, here goes. Softwood of Weigela Bristol Ruby (I think). Got my rooting powder and compost/soil/sand mix, going to start cutting these up and I should get around 15 or so. Do I have to keep them indoors? Conservatory gets too hot. @Rubytoo - these look like good enough new growth to work with?