Forum home Problem solving

Help me identify this please

My ornamental winter flowering cherry Tree is diseased. I've had differing diagnoses from different people. My most concern is I've been told that it's honey fungus. Can someone please shed some light on it. BTW I'm having it removed in a couple of weeks as advised by the tree expert.

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,531
    Is the tree expert properly qualified?
  • Bannon459Bannon459 Posts: 6
    One works in a well known garden car and the other is a tree surgeon. The garden centre advisor said it was canker and tree surgeon said it was due to honey fungus. I searched online the closest description imo was a crown gall. I'm confused 
    Sorry I presume they're qualified.
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687
    Apart from the close up of that trunk. Has this tree grown any leaves yet? There are many cherry tree trunks looking like that and growing fine. Any oozing from the trunk? Canker is most likely.
    No nothing oozing. It flowered a bit in winter and everything looked OK with buds in early spring but it didn't 'leaf'. So far the galls are only confined to lower trunk. I've attached photo. Thanks. 

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687
    Thanks for posting further photos. It's been a tough year for many trees and shrubs. It has been pretty dry and hot last year, and this year not not much rain over winter either. Your tree is possibly dying slowly. If there's hardly any leaves it's not likely to last long. It's more likely damage to bark that is causing it a slow death though.
    Thanks for your comments. I really hope so as it would be devastating if honey fungus is the cause of it. I'm having it cut down anyway.