Bee Hotel

How do I attract bees to my nice n cosy bee hotel?

• BirminghamMarc1972BirminghamMarc1972 Birmingham Posts: 506
    I've just put some dwarf buddleia by mine and home for the best
  • gary 803gary 803 Posts: 39
    thanks

Make sure it's facing the sun and not in shade 
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 2,846
    As Marc says give them as much sun as possible and make sure there's suitable nesting material nearby. You won't just get bees but also solitary wasps as well hopefully.
  • gary 803gary 803 Posts: 39
    thanks

• Habitat_AidHabitat_Aid SomersetPosts: 7
    ...also needs to be at least 1m orf the ground... 
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,177
    No one told the bees nesting under a brick by the Philadelphus.   We also have tree bees in  a birds nesting box.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Janet86Janet86 Posts: 3
    i started with a bee house on a south facing wall last spring and now I have 4 nearly all full, the first one i put up didnt really start to fill up until late April/May and when nothing had happened by early April I thought  they had died then we had those 2 hot weeks and boom they were out and mating and moving on to the next house so off to Aldi to buy another one at the weekend. How does it get better than that?
    Janet86 said:
    i started with a bee house on a south facing wall last spring and now I have 4 nearly all full, the first one i put up didnt really start to fill up until late April/May and when nothing had happened by early April I thought  they had died then we had those 2 hot weeks and boom they were out and mating and moving on to the next house so off to Aldi to buy another one at the weekend. How does it get better than that?
    ☺☺☺👍👍👍👍👍
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,041
    After five years my drilled logs are now full of bee nests. It took them ages to find and get comfortable with it.