Cleared bramble garden

elu439elu439 Posts: 5
Hi, We have just moved into a house with a garden that was covered in bramble-up to 20 feet high. They have been removed, the soil turned over and the roots, as far as I can tell, removed. I am keen to start a wildflower patch, and I understand that will need low nutrient soil.
Will the brambles have sucked all the life out of the soil, leaving it suitable for wildflowers? 
We will be laying turf in the next few weeks - should I leave the patch I want to use bare?
I am, by the way, a complete novice... Thanks in advance. 

• UpNorthUpNorth South Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK Posts: 289
    Hi Elu and welcome to the forum.  

my first thought is that you really should leave that ground now, exposed to warmth and rain, to watch the remaining bramble come back.  The notion that you definitely removed every bit of the roots, is noble, but probably flawed.  It's very probable you have (as would anyone) severed some roots, and those roots will be back as a new bramble in a few weeks, maybe a month at this time of year, very most.

keen as you are to proceed, waiting is by far and away the best thing to do.  If not, you'll end up destroying your new seedlings you do want, whilst trying to remove the fast growing bramble that will once again dominate the area unless you remove it.

as for 'wildflower patch' it's not my thing but almost certainly someone else here will come along with some advice.
  • islanderislander A small island off the west coast of Ireland. Posts: 852
    UpNorth said:

my first thought is that you really should leave that ground now, exposed to warmth and rain, to watch the remaining bramble come back.  The notion that you definitely removed every bit of the roots, is noble, but probably flawed.  It's very probable you have (as would anyone) severed some roots, and those roots will be back as a new bramble in a few weeks, maybe a month at this time of year, very most.

keen as you are to proceed, waiting is by far and away the best thing to do.  If not, you'll end up destroying your new seedlings you do want, whilst trying to remove the fast growing bramble that will once again dominate the area unless you remove it.

as for 'wildflower patch' it's not my thing but almost certainly someone else here will come along with some advice.
      Going to disagree from my own experience here. Last year was my first growing year here and the bed between the gable end and gate was a mass of nettles and brambles , there for years. I cannot dig for disability so pulled the nettles and chopped the brambles to the ground.And I grew there straight away, flowers and peas mostly. There was no regrowth and even this year very little and I have simply chopped that off at ground level. Maybe it is digging it out that challenges it too much? whatever, I have no hesitation is saying chop and plant.  
    Oh and I started clearing a patch at the  back and the same there. No real regrowth.

• UpNorthUpNorth South Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK Posts: 289
    Bramble has rhizomatous roots, so if you leave a tiny bit in the ground, it will regrow.  I speak from experience of a few hundred square metres of bramble and I found a glysophate weedkiller necessary.  
  • DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 998
    @islander may have a good point. Not digging it out would avoid turning one root into many, and thus into potentially many new plants? I've been chopping (with a mattock) and pulling for the last couple of years and the damn things are still coming back.
  • elu439elu439 Posts: 5
    UpNorth said:
    Bramble has rhizomatous roots, so if you leave a tiny bit in the ground, it will regrow.  I speak from experience of a few hundred square metres of bramble and I found a glysophate weedkiller necessary.  
    I take it the weed killer would have no ongoing effect once it had killed the brambles? Forgive my ignorance .. 
    Thank you all. How about the nutrition of the soil? Will it have more or less nutrition thanks to the brambles? 
    UpNorth said:

Thank you. Having started reading about gardening and all it involves, patience is the first thing I need to learn! 
    @islander may have a good point. Not digging it out would avoid turning one root into many, and thus into potentially many new plants? I've been chopping (with a mattock) and pulling for the last couple of years and the damn things are still coming back.
     we were talking about this last night and yes you are right. By cutting at above root level I did not throw it into defence mode. The roots have a crown structure. I left that intact..

Whatever anyone here says here or opines, I have after nearly 2 years almost no growback and a clear and fertile patch. No chemicals used etc and no digging

Same with the second patch.  

Sometimes being severely disabled opens new knowledge and skills 

Try it? Always something new to learn.. 

UpNorth said:
      Try it the other way?  The basic root system  is still in the ground but is as disabled as I am. Had I dug it would have regenerated,  And yes I was amazed but delighted. Watched and waited.. Just a few leaves on the remains after 2 years is all. And no nasty chemicals. 

PS I am leaving the field alone as he brambles are rich in berries come autumn and I still am eating jam from them.