Forum home Problem solving

Pond Pump Problems.

• BrexiteerBrexiteer Posts: 955
    I only have a single solar air stone in mine and you can't hear it at all but my friend has a double airstone  (maybe the same as yours) and it's so noisy. The rate it throws out air I'd say you only need a single for your pond. Mine was from eBay for less than £20 
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Posts: 2,536
    debs64 said:
    Have you considered a solar fountain just to keep the water aerated? I have a tiny pond with fountain roughy 10p piece size water is always clear. I have oxygenating plants in there no fish now thanks to my cat! Only sound is trickle of water very pleasant 
    I might give that a go.
    I really just need to keep the water moving on very sunny days.

........off to Amazon!
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
    The solar fountain arrived Thursday and the sun promptly went in!
    The fountain just produced a sporadic dribbling if the sun showed itself so was a bit disappointed.
    Today however the sun came out and the fountain suddenly came to life!!
    The fish seem to love it as well.
    I don't know how much oxygenating it does but it does keep some of the water on the move.

• barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,840
    I see that the pump is wetting the stones and if it gets windy you will soon be topping the pond up. If you have fish I would think that you really need a filter of some kind, a few years ago I had a problem with my pond filter blocking up and as I was due to go on holiday I decided to remove the filter material and just let the water pump through, when I came home I had two sick fish, all the other goldfish and the Koi seemed to be ok but the two comets didn't cope without the filters.
    edited May 2019
    I have never had a filter in any of my ponds in the last 30 odd years and fish seem fine,breeding most years as well! Have around 10-12 most of the year.
    All but one fish came through the 'Beast from the East' last year and most were shubunkins.
    Always topping up the pond in the summer so that is not a problem.
    The fountain only works in the full sun and just keeps the water moving a bit.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 8,972
    The pump will probably have a filter of some sort on it, so as long as that is cleaned regularly there shouldn't be a problem.  I agree about the fountain splashing onto stone, and possibly further afield on a windy day.  It's surprising just how much water can be lost that way.  You will get additional evaporation anyway when you have a fountain running.
  • hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053
    If you tied a long bit of string to it the depth of the water and tied a stone round the other end and dropped it into the middle of the pond, that would stop it being blown to the side and wetting the stone. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • debs64debs64 Posts: 5,139
    I think it looks lovely and isn’t costing a single penny to run. And no noise eitherMine doesn’t need much sunshine to get going even in winter it works. Best of luck with it. 
  • mrtjformanmrtjforman Posts: 331
    air pumps can vary in noise - yours must be particularly noisy if your neighbour is annoyed by it. But there are things you can do do lessen the noise. This won't be easy to judge if you can't hear it well in the first place.. One easy fix is placing the air pump on a less vibratory surface. Something like carpet underlay, polystyrene, even a towel can work aslong as it doesn't get wet. 
    Then you can also place it in a polystyrene box, the type that ice or fish are transported in ( if you can find one somehwere)
    That will dampen the noise.

The noise problem might also be coming from the amount of air pushed through the airstones creating a sort of whooshing bubbling noise, the solution for this is bigger air stones. The stones on yours do look quite small.

Anyway, lastly since it is solar powered and you agreed to turn it off at lunch time and have asked for a solution to that - which is also a very good idea the solution to that is finding a spot artound your pond that gets light in the morning and then goes shady by noon. That way your pump will get power till noon and turn itself off for the rest of the day.

The pump was not noisy when it was new so this has been a gradual thing.We did try several things to lessen the noise,many of which you have suggested,but to no avail.
    The little fountain seems to be doing the trick and makes no noise and you can hear the water splashing gently (so I am told!).