Carrots

I am growing carrots on my windowsill and they are doing really well, with some pepper plants and sunflowers. I have noticed lots of small flies around all of the pots of them, I initially thought they were flies from the surface of the compost but now am worried in case it is carrot fly. This is my first time of growing carrots and I have pulled one up and although not fully grown the surface of the carrot was perfect. Any ideas on how I can identify these flies and what I can do to get rid of them.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,015
    I think they will be compost flies. Carrot flies only fly at low level outside. They are unlikely to be in the house.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 669
    Carrot fly is quite big compost fly is tiny.
  • Gardeninggirl36Gardeninggirl36 Posts: 14
    Thank you both for your replies, I have just breathed a sigh of relief as the flies are really tiny. When I put the carrots outside is there anything I can do to prevent carrot fly? 
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 1,396
    Plant them in a raised bed at least 18" high as supposedly they dont fly that high @Gardeninggirl36 .
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,015
    You can put a fleece barrier 24 inches high around them (like a thin wall)
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 669
    I use fleece and insect mesh barriers, it makes the allotment look like a bedouin camp when I cover the carrots and parsnips, peas and leeks, fleece barriers everywhere, I can't remember allotments looking like this years ago. Anyhow, these barriers do work as long as the flies cant get through any chinks in the armour but I see that Nemasys do a combined mix of nematodes which kill carrot root fly grubs.
  • Green MagpieGreen Magpie Posts: 770
    I use fleece draped over my raised beds. I don't like the look of it but needs must, and it works.