Forum home Problem solving

Bog garden surface

I have created a large, triangular-shaped bog garden in the wet area at the bottom of our garden.  At the moment it is a quagmire because of rain but will dry off a little, without losing its moisture, when the weather is better.  I have made a backdrop of dogwoods and willow with perennial plants in the foreground and I'd like to improve the muddy appearance of the dogwood area where there are gaps between the shrubs, as well as make it easier to access the perennials on foot.  Would wood chips work on damp/wet soil and if I then placed flat, flag-type stepping stones over the chips between the plants would they eventually sink into the mud?  Any advice gratefully received.

• DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,054
    I had to make a path across our boggy area, and I too used flags, but they sank too quickly. I then bashed in lots of hardcore and sat the flags on that and, so far at least, they're staying topside :) I'll need to repeat the trick on an exceptionally boggy area soon, but that's on a slope so I'm not quite sure how I'll do it.
  • CazzieTCazzieT Posts: 57
    Thanks for that - you've confirmed my suspicions!