Broadcasting seeds

Have been given some seeds of Nigella and Calendula.  Thinking of simply mixing the seeds with some damp compost and simply broadcasting across the borders to get some random informal wild garden effect.  Good idea or likely to end up looking a mess?  :D

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 7,620
    Why not do it both ways ?  Sow some of each in pots/trays and then plant out where you think they'll look good.  Once you have chosen the sites for those, then do the broadcast elsewhere.  That way, you can always pull up and discard those you think look wrong but you won't have wasted all the seeds.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,724
    If I did that i’d never see them again, the slugs would have them the moment they poked up.  Worth a try though. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 7,620
    Or T will choose that spot for his "once a day" Lyn ;)
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,724
    Ah no!  Anything small get a wire mesh over it,  by the end of summer he’s run out of places to go. 😀
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,715
    I've just done that with about 20 packets of time expired flower seeds. Mixed them all in a bowl and then just chucked them over some waste ground before it rained. I'm waiting to see what happens next - if anything.