Forum home Plants

Aliums

Janie BJanie B Posts: 865
I planted several alium bulbs last year, and some have come up with just leaves, no flower buds (most are fine, tbh). If there is no flower this year, should I just get rid, or is there a chance they will flower next year? TIA. 

• raisingirlraisingirl Posts: 6,438
    Have a look here https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1027730/allium-atropurpureum-where-the-hell-are-you/p1
    general consensus is they often don't come back
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • Janie BJanie B Posts: 865
    Thanks, @raisingirl I had skimmed through that thread, and got the impression that those ones did not even make an appearance! Mine look relatively healthy, but just no flower. I guess I'll just get rid of the leaves and see what happens next year. Not holding my breath, though...!
  • raisingirlraisingirl Posts: 6,438
    edited May 2019
    If you want any chance at all of them coming back, don't get rid of the leaves. The best hope is that the leaves will feed the bulbs and they will build up enough to flower again. If you have to cut all the leaves off, you may as well bin them
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • Janie BJanie B Posts: 865
    Ah, ok, thanks for that tip. All leaves and no bud seems a bit of a lose-lose!
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 3,485
    If they were planted last autumn and have no buds, I would leave them for a second year. I have some like that now, first year in the ground, produced great leaves and then just melted away.

If they are in a pot I would put them in the ground; that has worked for me previously as has digging them up and replanting elsewhere.
    Wearside, England.