Forum home Plants

Brown leaf ends

BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
I've Googled it and can't find an answer. What causes the leaf ends of my cosmos seedlings to go brown 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336
    Under or over watering are both possibilites, as is sun scorch caused by water drops collecting on the end of the leaves and acting as lenses.  Or warm, low humidity air as found in a centrally heated area.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 1,052
    You have not said what conditions you are growing them in. Mine are still being acclimatised and will go out at the end of the month. I have no problems with them going brown, so it might be that you have left them out in the sun with no water. They still need time to get their roots down in May.
    SW Scotland
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,863
    I’ve never had any going brown, can you show a picture.  Have you still got them inside, it’s cold at nights. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
    They are in a plastic 6 × 6 walk in greenhouse. I open the flap every morning for the air to circulate but when I do its soaking with condensation. Should I leave it open of a night if there is no real cold night predicted.they are only young seedlings maybe one inch high. THANKYOU for your replies
    There very small to be outside yet, I think they are cold. 
    If your nights have been anything like ours recently it’s been down to 1c in the early hours. Maybe a spell indoors on the window sill would help. 

All full I'm afraid 😂😂
    Oh well, maybe they’ll be ok when they’ve grown on a bit if the nights warm up a bit, have you sown just enough for what you need, a lot of people make the mistake of sowing the whole packet then don’t have the  room to look after them.  Most of my seeds are sown in a rice/yogurt pots, just a sprinkle of each, that way I can have about 10 plants of several different varieties . 

I always start them off in MPC indoors, not too early, then by the time they’re ready for pricking out they are big enough to live out in the GH. 

• DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,054
    Lyn said:
    There very small to be outside yet, I think they are cold. 

A good few of our ferns have suddenly browned off. I too am putting it down to the cold.
    Lyn said:
    Oh well, maybe they’ll be ok when they’ve grown on a bit if the nights warm up a bit, have you sown just enough for what you need, a lot of people make the mistake of sowing the whole packet then don’t have the  room to look after them.  Most of my seeds are sown in a rice/yogurt pots, just a sprinkle of each, that way I can have about 10 plants of several different varieties . 

I always start them off in MPC indoors, not too early, then by the time they’re ready for pricking out they are big enough to live out in the GH. 
    I give a lot to family friends and charity 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,312
    Put a plastic sheet on your dining table or whatever and bring them indoors at night. They don’t need to be on a windowsill at night. Then back out into the little greenhouse during the day when it’s not as cold. That’s what we do with ours.  😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh