Forum home Problem solving

failed beans and courgette

2»

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384
    Onions, broad beans and peas are hardy but often look a bit sad for a while after planting out, so I think you'll be fine with those.  It is fun isn't it!  I always have to stop myself from sowing more tender things (like runners, most other beans, tomatoes, squashes and courgettes etc.) too early.  When a fine spell of weather comes early in the year, I still find myself looking at the sowing dates on seed packets and thinking its getting late but starting early usually ends in some kind of problem so I hold off these days.  You'll get to learn how long each type of seed takes to germinate and then how long they take to grow to the planting out stage and it'll become 2nd nature.  The tender things tend to germinate and develop very quickly compared to hardy plants so no loss by sowing those late.  :)
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Mine are still in my plastic greenhouse because the weather has been cold and some frosts.I usually plant out about now though in past years. Mind you the bean may be able to recover if the frosts were not too heavy

Happy gardening

Jolly G

• TyCerrigTyCerrig Posts: 61
    Looks like a rookie mistake then! Many thanks for the helpful advice, I'll learn from this! There haven't been any actual frosts since I put them out (haven't had to scrape the car in the mornings) but the nights have certainly been chilly (heating still on!). There's a chance the might recover then? But I might try my luck at planting some straight into the ground now that the weather is turning for the warmer...?
  • purplerallimpurplerallim Posts: 5,258
    I have put my French beans in this week , believing that by the time they are up it might be warmer @TyCerrig. 🤔🙄😁
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384
    I'd sow more into small pots at the moment - they have a much better chance as the soil in the pots will be warmer, not to mention free from slugs etc. which love young bean and courgette shoots..  When I plant my runners and other beans out at about the same time as Dove, I always pop a few seeds into the ground between plants as a sort of insurance and to extend the season a little. ;)
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.