Forum home Plants

Any idea please for the sake of the bees

BrexiteerBrexiteer Posts: 955
A long shot I know but if anyone knows you lot will. It grows 2 and 3 feet with tall purple spikes that the bees love. Thought it was carradonna but not like the plugs I bought. Please help

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,695
    Sounds like one of the Ajugas or bugle.
  • BrexiteerBrexiteer Posts: 955
    No its a lot too tall for them 
  • LynLyn Posts: 21,919
    edited May 2019
    Lismanchia, just sprung to mind.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

No its all one plant. As it comes through the ground it's orangery in colour which turns green.
    It's very much like Sylvia carradonna in appearance 
  • RubytooRubytoo Posts: 1,323
    edited May 2019
    That is not a label at the back of the clump?
    Left side there are three or four short bits of old cut off flower stalk sticking up, and something square and white in the middle of them.

Edited to add suggestions Lythrum or Lysimachia.
    I think lysimachia mostly come in yellow or white flowers? I know the leaves are various forms and shapes and leaves do not seem right.
    Apart from the groundcover one which does have rounded leaves and looks a bit like your plant obviously not tall enough. :D
    But Lythrum are the same family apparently.
    Might help.
  • LynLyn Posts: 21,919
    Purple loosestrife ? 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• LucidLucid Posts: 385
    It does look similar to the beginnings of my purple loosestrife growing back in the pond. Here's a photo of mine in flower - probably not the best photo I've got but the only decent one I can find for now. It's the plant on the left of the pond.

Nope sorry 😡😢 they must be common as I bought them as 2 ltr perennials from homebase. Think along the lines of salvia carradonna like flowers (purple) but taller
    Rubytoo said:
    That is not a label at the back of the clump?
    Left side there are three or four short bits of old cut off flower stalk sticking up, and something square and white in the middle of them.

Edited to add suggestions Lythrum or Lysimachia.
    I think lysimachia mostly come in yellow or white flowers? I know the leaves are various forms and shapes and leaves do not seem right.
    Apart from the groundcover one which does have rounded leaves and looks a bit like your plant obviously not tall enough. :D
    But Lythrum are the same family apparently.
    Might help.
    That was a bit of wing off a garden ornamental bird long gone sorry