Forum home Plants

Knautia Macedonia Question

RosiebeatonRosiebeaton Scotland, U.K.Posts: 20
hi there, I planted two of these a few weeks ago and I think I have placed too close together. I think they should be 12 inches apart - they look as if they will flower soon - will they be ok or should I replant further apart. I am a newbie 😊 

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,866
    One plant will grow to about 2 - 3ft diameter and at least 3’ tall.  I always need to stake mine or it would be over everything. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,857
    edited May 2019
    I plant them in threes, a foot(30cm) apart. That way they look like one big plant.They do need support, some pea sticks or one of the circular things with stakes.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • RosiebeatonRosiebeaton Scotland, U.K.Posts: 20
    Thank you for your advice, that’s great. Looking at them today I think they have the powdery look about them which could be mildew?? So they might have to go?! 
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,857
    They usually get mildew after they have flowered , especially if it is a bit dry.  At that point I cut them down and they resprout.  Don't mistake the grey leaved  appearance for mildew.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 3,681
    If you dead head the flowers it just goes on and on.
    Gets huge and floppy.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • RosiebeatonRosiebeaton Scotland, U.K.Posts: 20
    Ok thank you ☺️