Shed Windows

I have in the garden at home a 2 year old shed, well cared for, except the styrene window keeps bowing out/gaping/blowing, no matter how often I remove the frame stays, pull the styrene taught and screw it back in taut. I have tried yacht silicon, too, but it fails to hold it in place.

I am thinking a replacement window frame - probably as easy to get a joiner/glazier to do the whole thing (with toughened glass*) as I doubt an opening window is a priority in NE Scotland (if it is warm enough to require an opened window in the shed, I am in the garden and open the door).

Has anyone else other solutions that might be cheaper and not require a tradesman?

*My aggregate is made of recycled tv/computer screens (Glasglo it is called) so any broken glass would be hard spot and I have dogs; I am not keen on opaque polycarbonate.

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,103
    The cheap solution is to brace the exiting plastic with a central timber bar or 2 depending on the size of the window.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,850
    Or just buy some strips of wood that can be screwed or tacked round the frame to fit the frame and overlap, and thus hold, the window in place.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    Clear acrylic would be the solution, Styrene expands and contracts so much it bends, acrylic is much more resilient to temperature fluctuation you need to cut it 3 or 4 mm all-round smaller than the frame to allow for a little expansion use window glass tacks to keep it in place and the window beads should not be fitted tight to the sheet.

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • caledonia64caledonia64 Posts: 18
    Thanks - the styrene has blown again despite all tactics suggested and yacht silicon. I find that a sheet of toughened glass is about £40/m so i may ask a local glazier to put in toughened glass panes or even opening window(s) - there are two panes.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,329
    What about Perspex? You can get a sheet cut to size and its screwable so you could screw it into the window surround.
  • mrtjformanmrtjforman Posts: 188
    I had to look up styrene which is very crappy material compared to acrylic or perspex apparently so like people have suggested if you replace the panel with a 4mm sheet from wickes for about £20 that will solve your problem.
    It is not the easiest to cut though and cracks easily so maybe someone who will send you the right size like https://www.sheetplastics.co.uk/shed-windows might be good, I have no idea about their pricing.
    It sounds like you are eager to get a proper window but it will cost more than just £80. 
  • mrtjformanmrtjforman Posts: 188
    if you browse that website i just posted which I just did they say acrylic is stronger than glass and weighs half as much but they also have clear polycarbonate which they claim is indestructible.