Forum home Wildlife gardening

Hedgehogs on Channel 5

What a lovely programme about hedgehogs on the television tonight.  Brian May was charming and really cared for those hogs, so much so that he homes injured unable to return to the wild hogs too. My husband watched and enjoyed the programme too, perhaps he won't think I am so dotty because I love hogs now he has seen Brian May going soppy over them.

• AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,011
    Haven't seen it yet @Guernsey Donkey2, but if it's anything like the last one, l shall be a soppy mess as well.  :)
    I check the posts on my local rescue's Facebook page every day, and have been moved to tears more than once...... 
  • Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,713
    You will be moved to tears AnniD, but in the nicest of ways by some of the stories of these little creatures and the care they receive is wonderful.  I would say a positive outcome in part 1.
  • HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 631
    Very interesting article about hedgehog obesity,  although it does annoy me when articles use a photo of an African pygmy hedgehog to illustrate them. I have seen the wrong type of hedgehog photo used in 3 articles over the last fortnight. 
    The way they run around my garden at night, l think they are burning up the calories! 
    Have just watched the first episode @Guernsey Donkey2. It was very emotional in places (OH knew l was watching it, he could hear me going "Aww bless" at regular intervals).
    I'm very squeamish but listened (rather than watched !) to the vet talking through the operation on Philomena . Amazing work on such a tiny creature. Our local rescue works with a fantastic vets surgery. Even though they try and keep the costs down, the vets bills are the biggest expenditure they have.
    Looks like next week's episode could be one for having tissues handy.....
  • BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
    Just watched it fantastic programme and loved all the people taking time out of their lives to help the hedgehogs not just the famous. Didn't agree with the part about the dangers though putting hedgehogs so close to a road and lawnmowers scaring the poor sods
    My local rescue had 3 hedgehogs die overnight for various reasons. One of them was caught in netting. One of the others had been found by someone and kept in a cage - my charitable side is trying to imagine that they thought they were somehow helping it . By the time it got to the rescue it was so dehydrated it couldn't be saved. It breaks my heart. 
  • Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,713
    Those dear little baby hedgehogs on the Channel 5 programme last night - they looked so vulnerable and didn't all pull through, I found the programme very moving and I wondered how anyone could not love these little creatures.  We were delighted to hear that the blonde hogs on our neighbouring island are thriving and being given the respect they deserve.  Well done Alderney.
    Caught up with this last night - what a rollercoaster of emotions !
    Those hoglets were so tiny and so cute. When Steve Backshall was feeding that one from a teaspoon the cuteness level went off the scale.
    But yes, the heartbreak when that badly injured one had to be put to sleep. And as for that one with mange, I was finding it hard to make him out - when she finally revealed his face I could almost feel his relief.
    It was very interesting as it gave a very in-depth insight into the things rescues deal with every day. I have always admired the work my local rescue lady does (and all the other rescues of course), but my admiration has gone up even more.
    @Guernsey Donkey2 I never knew about the blonde hedgehogs on Alderney, they were fascinating  :)
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,531
    edited May 2019
    Do blonde hedgehogs have more fun?  Touching up their roots can't be easy.  And they must have to stay out of the sun, because applying sun cream would be a nightmare.