Forum home Wildlife gardening

We have frogs! I'm so pleased :-)

CraighBCraighB Posts: 712
edited May 2019 in Wildlife gardening
Well I have just been outside to see if the snails were devouring the garden when I found a beautiful frog! I have never seen them in my garden before so I am very happy to see it!

I then remembered I had put an old empty sink at the bottom of the garden which I put there to try and attract wildlife by filling it with water. Well I had completely forgot about it until I saw the frog heading that way. When I looked inside the water I was so surprised to find what I think is frog spawn!

I can't wait to now watch them hatch and know the the garden will be home to a family of them. I have placed some large rocks in there for them to hide under and I have also made a ramp so that they can all get out :)

Seeing these has really made me want to appreciate the wildlife more in my garden. I have stopped using chemical pesticides and fungicides on my roses and I am now going to switch to a non chemical slug pellet!

• FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    A beautiful frog. Congratulations!
  • AlchemistAlchemist Self IsolationPosts: 266
    That’s cool. One of my friends has been trying to get frogs to his 10 feet pond over a year..Well done!
  • BobFlannigonBobFlannigon Posts: 619
    Great to see.  I'm not sure whether "appreciate wildlife" and "slug pellets" can ever really be used in the same sentence (Frogs eat slugs) but it's great to hear people moving away from chemicals.
  • FlinsterFlinster Posts: 883
    That’s great!.... perhaps think about expanding with a small pond.. hours of fun looking into them! 😀
  • CraighBCraighB Posts: 712
    To be honest the only time I really use the pellets anyway is around the couple of hostas I have and around the new shoots of delphiniums in early spring.

I have to say it does look quite sad in my photo of the frog with poisonous slug pellets around it.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,135
    But you've learnt something from it Craig, so don't beat yourself up. You've done plenty of good by having the water, realising how useful the frog is, and deciding to work differently  :)

I like the 2nd pic - he looks like he's just been 'found out' after doing something naughty  :D
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    My frogs haven't come back this year and I am sad. They are so cute and mine seem like being scratched gently on the back of the neck.  I had six in my micro-pond last year. None returned as yet. No spawn. :/
  • JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 1,139
    edited May 2019
    Excellent, and as @Fairygirl says no point worrying about what you have done, its what you do in future, and if you ditch the chemicals and slug pellets then Id call that a win.
    Its amazing how much unexpected pride a frog in the garden can bring! :smile:
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,135
    I've got one very lonely one. I feel so sorry for him.  :/

'All by myself.....'
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,633
    edited May 2019
    I rarely see my frog or toad unless I disturb where they are hiding, but I sure notice a lack of slugs so they are about. Between them and the thrush the slugs and snails dont stand a chance.😄

Btw froggie in the greenhouse has doubled in size so must be well fed.