Forum home Plants

Thompson and Morgan 72 plant lucky dip

kwack_craigkwack_craig Posts: 18
Took a punt on these last month 72 plants for £2.99, worth getting at least to try and today they arrived. They're small but look in good enough condition with plenty of roots. And gave me a little job to do whilst enjoying a coffee in the garden, even tho the weather is terrible. Interesting packaging but does the job. 
Anyone else tried these in the past? What sort of results have you had growing them on? 
*I'm still very new to all this gardening stuff. 

• B3B3 Posts: 24,481
    Looks like you got a bargain there. Are they labelled or Do you have to wait to see what they grow into?
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • B3B3 Posts: 24,481
    Oops just noticed the label!
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,537
    I have had them in the past. I potted one tiny plug singly into 7cm pots. When the 7cm pot is full of roots, it gets planted out.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 11,174
    I have had these in the past, only lost two out of them all. Very small but with care will grow into good plants.
  • kwack_craigkwack_craig Posts: 18
    I have had them in the past. I potted one tiny plug singly into 7cm pots. When the 7cm pot is full of roots, it gets planted out.
    I guessed this was what I needed to do but need to get some pots so put em in what I had for now as I figured they won't last long in the pack they arrived in, an will move them on again tomorrow. 
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 11,174
    You could leave them be for a couple of weeks. I put mine into seed trays first, let them get a few more roots, then put them into pots.  
  • LynLyn Posts: 21,383
    The plants are for hanging baskets, you could plant them up now and keep in the GH.  The Gazania could be planted out in the garden if you want. But the others are only annuals. 
    At the end of the season you can take seeds from the bacopa and the verbena,  the Begonias sometimes make corms that you can overwinter and bring into growth next year. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• kwack_craigkwack_craig Posts: 18
    Lyn said:
    The plants are for hanging baskets, you could plant them up now and keep in the GH.  The Gazania could be planted out in the garden if you want. But the others are only annuals. 
    At the end of the season you can take seeds from the bacopa and the verbena,  the Begonias sometimes make corms that you can overwinter and bring into growth next year. 

: 
    Thanks for the advice I was checking where I would be best to plant them. 
    I don't have a greenhouse, or even have a shed ::neutral
    Should I be bringing plants inside the house for now? Temp set to drop to 7° here tonight for example? 

• BrexiteerBrexiteer Posts: 955
    Put them on a sunny windowsill