Forum home Wildlife gardening

Unexpected Visitor

JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 1,139
I should have taken a photograph in hindsight, but last night my wife found a great crested newt...in the spare room when she was tidying up. It must have come in through an open door sometime during the day, passed through three other room to find its hiding place. Amazingly its the second time we have had one in the house, we once had one wander across the carpet in front of the log burner on a cold december night. Maybe we should just fill in the pond and open the doors instead

• ElizaRoseElizaRose East AngliaPosts: 121
     :D 
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 5,838
    Perhaps they are coming in for a warm up as it's turned so chilly at nights of late.
    AB Still learning

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,255
    When we lived on a small holding not that far from you we had Gt Cresteds in the ponds and every year they tried to hibernate in the house ... often under the coir doormats ... with ‘flattening’ results ... they obviously didnt know how endangered they were or they’d have taken more care of themselves 😂 
    Check under your mats!!!
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 1,139
    Perhaps they are coming in for a warm up as it's turned so chilly at nights of late.
    Cant say I blame them  :disappointed:

When we lived on a small holding not that far from you we had Gt Cresteds in the ponds and every year they tried to hibernate in the house ... often under the coir doormats ... with ‘flattening’ results ... 
    Weve had one under the front doormat as well actually, still in one plump piece though

they obviously didnt know how endangered they were or they’d have taken more care of themselves 😂 
     :D 
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,232
    Things are rare for a reason.

We had a bat suddenly start to fly round our kitchen one evening. We think it might have fallen down the chimney (fire not on) and then been befuddled by the light and sound of the laptop that was on the table. Had an awful job getting it out.😊
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,531
    My last cat began her hunting career by bringing in large earthworms when she was a kitten.  We didn't know this until one of the vacuum cleaner's rare outings, when I moved the doormat and found a lot of flattened and very dead worms under it.  Presumably she brought them in, abandoned them in the hall, and they found the next best place to underground.