What is this popping up

this burgundy leaf plant is popping up in my garden.Any ideas what it is?Seems to be coming up in quite a few areas.

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,264
    It is a lysimachia, can be very rampant if not controlled.
    Woke up again
    To my chagrin
    Getting sick and tired of
    Feeling sick and tired again
  • Valleys girlValleys girl Wales Posts: 71
    I think it's Lysymachia 'Firecracker ' , in between the nodes pretty little bright yellow flowers will appear soon, it's a perennial and it's quite stunning .
  • Great thanks for that,will look it up
  • Is this Firecracker? 
    I saw it on Techgara few days ago
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,264
    Few days late Richard, but yes, Lysimachia firecracker.
    Woke up again
    To my chagrin
    Getting sick and tired of
    Feeling sick and tired again
  • Birdy13Birdy13 Posts: 581
    I too have been given burgundy leafed Lysimachia... 

and being informed (in an earlier post by Punkdoc) that it can be 'quite rampant' if not controlled would like to know how can it be controlled? Does it invade like couch grass and ground elder? If so I'm now a bit wary about putting it into my border. Any advice would be welcome.
  • HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 598
    edited 15 June
    A friend gave me a bit of root....and now we have it everywhere.  Which is ok as long as you don’t let it have its own way and invade totally.  And the end of each year we basically reduce it back to a small clump and get rid of the rest far, far away.   It runs, but is quite easy to pull up. 
  • B3B3 Posts: 10,536
    Sounds like a lot of effort. I'd keep it in a pot this year and see if I really, really like it and plant it out or dispose of it next year
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Muddle-UpMuddle-Up Posts: 14,539
    It IS Lysimachia 'Firecracker' and it does spread like blazes, but it's easy enough to dig out and either transplant or discard.  Nice plant, lovely little lemon flowers against the burgundy foliage, but yes, you need to keep a close eye on it!  If you have the space, it will fill it in no time!
    Aberdeenshire, NE Scotland 🌞  
    FIDDLESTICKS AND FLAPDOODLE!
  • Birdy13Birdy13 Posts: 581
    edited 15 June
    Thanks Helix, B3 and Muddle-Up for that advice - and punkdoc for flagging up the original alert. It's a lovely leaf colour and the flowers sound great. I suppose, on the principle that weeds will invade bare earth like a shot, anything filling the space will deprive weeds of at least some of their optimum growing conditions. 
      Helix you say that Lysimachia runs. Does this happen underground like couch grass or ground elder - which you have to dig down really deep to get at - or over the top of the soil like strawberries? And do the runners come out as easily as, say, pulling up Forget-me-not?