Forum home Plants

What are these purple plants in Monty's garden?

CraighBCraighB Posts: 712
Hi guys,

I was reading Monty's blog and he has some really nice purple plants in a photograph he posted. I don't know if they are bulbs or not but can anyone tell me what they are at all?

Thanks
Craigh

• RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,287
    Camassias?
  • FlinsterFlinster Posts: 883
    I think they are Camassia, but I don’t know which one.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,148
    I'd agree - Camassias
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• CraighBCraighB Posts: 712
    Fantastic thank you.

I don't seem to have much in flower at this point in the year so it would be great to get some Camassias :)
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,575
    They are bulbous perennials so need planting in autumn, unless you buy some in the green now.  There is a white version too. 

They like full sun or partial shade and need moisture retentive soil but arent fussy about sand/clay/loam as long as it doesn't dry out completely.  https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/2830/Camassia-quamash/Details
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Brilliant! Thanks Obelixx.

I may look at possibly planting some in a container next Autumn to see how they go :)
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,575
    I think a container may be too dry.   Try them in the ground instead unless you think it'll go below -10C as they're not reliably hardy below that.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    I don't think it would go below -10C. The lowest I've ever seen here is about -7. Ah thanks for the advice on putting them in containers. I will stick to putting them in the ground.

I do love how they look planted all the way along the path in Monty's garden.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,148
    Yes - they need reliably dampish ground to do well, Craig. If you can give them that, they should be fine.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,296
    Mine are happy growing in my fairly shaded, damp meadow and have survived  -12C