My garden needs some planting for height advice please

Our garden is 4 years old now and it was a new build so we have had to learn and start from nothing.

We lost a 2 silver birch trees, 2 red robins and a few Portuguese laurel due to soaking wet clay soil. The biggest problem area for that was in the corner and left side of the laurel hedge (see photos).

it has improved over time and the biggest problem we have now is the lack of height in the mixed border.

We would like some trees for privacy and something to make the fence less dominant.
Not sure where to start or what to go for that won't become too big.

We are still learning and would really appreciate any suggestions please.

• KeengreenKeengreen Posts: 8
    Oops, bear with me while I see if I can get the photos to work!

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 6,841
    One small tree everyone should have, is an Ameliancher.
    Time slide, place to hide, nudge reality
    Foresight, minds wide, magic imagery, oh-ho...
  • jordan.d3193jordan.d3193 Posts: 21
    Ameliancher ok in a large pot?
    Thank you Punkdoc - amelanchier looks lovely. 

Any other suggestions please :)
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,288
    If you put some wires up along the fence, you could have climbing roses and clematis right along it. If you want taller bushes, you might need to make your border wider. I would also make the triangular bit at the end much wider - it looks really difficult to mow, unless it's just the angle of the photo. You could also try Buddelia 'Lochinch', Potentilla (the shrubby one) choisya, daphne, caryopteris, or an obelisk or two with clematis on them.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,201
    Ameliancher ok in a large pot?
    Found this old thread - depends on which variety you choose.
    https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/995466/tree-for-container
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 1,956
    I agree with Lizzie and would cut out a wedge of lawn to widen the bed in that corner from where the fence starts to curve to just beyond the small tree on the right, it all looks a bit tight for the shrubs you have there, which will soon start to encroach on the lawn.
    Thank you for the plant suggestions Lizzie & Nollie.

Your suggestions about the lawn shape have got me thinking! It is an odd shape but came about because that part of the lawn was so swampy when we first moved in it was like walking on unset jelly for 6 months of the year. It was also the area where most of the plant deaths occured!

It does seem to have improved though so definitely will think about your good idea to reshape.