Forum home Problem solving

Hosta looking a bit battered

Hello again...

I acquired a lovely Empress wu hosta. Looked great in pot then fell apart and got blown about. Please see photos. 

Should I tie her up to the cane in the last pic, not meaning to sound too barbaric.
Thank you

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,252
    I'd just leave her be and she'll get on with it when she puts out new leaves
    Devon.
  • shadypmshadypm Posts: 60
    Hello hosta fans, 

It has been a while and empress wu has started putting out new leaves.

As per new pic posted should I cut the older bigger leaves?

Thank you 🍃
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,062
    I’d leVe them on the plant as when they start to die back for the winter they will feed the crown of the plant for next year. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    Yes, this year it is just getting established so needs all of the leaves as well as plenty of water (ground looks a bit dry there) and some general plant food.  The original leaves were produced in different growing conditions, hence the variation in size. Next year it will look much more natural.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,889
    I'd make sure all those weeds are removed too. It's only competition for moisture. 

What are the 'trunks' from, in the background? If there's a lot of other shrubs/trees nearby, they will also compete, which may affect the rate of growth. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,252
    edited August 2019
    It looks to me like it's been grown close to other plants on the nursery and now it's just flopped.
    Keep it watered and fed and it'll romp away next year.
    Devon.