Forum home Problem solving

Bees in bird house

can anybody tell me what kind of bees these are please?  They’ve taken up residence in a birdhouse that was used by tits las year.  Not sure what I should do.

• FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    Celebrate?
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,850
    Usually Tree Bumblebees in this situation. They'll be gone in a few weeks. You don't need to do anything but if you're worried and they;'re in an awkward place, tape over the hole when they get settled in the evening, move the box and take the tape off early next morning. This is how I receive rescued bees.
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,998
    They look like a type of bumblebee to me. There's no reason for you to worry, they will come and go without taking any notice of you, and eventually will move on. 
  • Don’t really want to move them but I have young grandchildren who play in the garden so want to make sure they won’t be stung.
  • Thank you for your reply.  I thought they were bumblebees!
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,998
    Bumblebees won't sting unless severely provoked, if you keep the children away (if you can !), the bees won't take any notice of them.
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    If the box is high up on the wall, everyone should be fine.
  • Thank you everyone, the bird house is up about 8feet on the north wall so we should be safe.  I am reassured.  I like having them there, watching them come and go, just concerned for the grandchildren. 
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,493
    Bees are native to this country so children have to get used to them. Just teach them not to touch any insect they find but just to watch them.
  • Hi Lizzie 
    thanks for your reply.  the older children are fine but  we have one year old twins who are my main concern.  One of them has tried to pick up a bee that came down the chimney and was dying.  they'll learn but not there yet.