Forum home The potting shed

Allotment Gardening

• Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    Early run to allotment to open up tunnel and water also took a few photos theses are the little scented and insect friendly sitting area sown with old flower seed when I say sown it was just mixed together and chucked down and raked in turned out quite nice.

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,882
    H Hog , looks good 
    Been to garden centre to get some more compost , bought Magic Jack , currently in my opinion one of the better ones , also bought 2 chilli 🌶 plants 50p each in the sale section , will put them in g/h at home 
    GWRS  Gives the wife somewhere to sit in her wheelchair when she comes to do her inspections and give advice / boss me around. I always take it all on board and implement of course 😉😉

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,396
    Went to the plot yesterday morning for three hours, the soil is just right and moist under the top few mm but as we are forecast 30 degs today I watered the peas, beans, salad crops and courgettes, pumpkins and melons just to ensure that they don't dry out. I also turned the automatic greenhouse watering system up from two one hour waterings to three and opened the greenhouse door fully. I had to cut a branch from one apple tree which I had noticed had canker, the trees have been planted for about four years so the branch was about one inch diameter and couldn't be saved. Broad beans still cropping well and even got some tiny courgettes for a stir fry later. I'll have to go up tomorrow morning to check how the hot weather has affected the plants, thank goodness that we only get 30 degs for one day I pity those in France and Germany e.t.c.
    Been to allotment opened up watered as per normal harvested cucumbers, spring onions, the first sun gold tomatoes and a lettuce all for lunch, we currently have 25.7° but normally get our highest temperature between three and four pm and we have lost the breeze.

It got to 32 degs in the shade in my garden earlier the garden greenhouse with all ventilation open got to 38 degs, I hope my allotment plants have survived I will visit early tomorrow.
    Been to the late Geoff Hamilton’s garden at Barnsdale   Oakham today with Garden Club
    Really nice relaxing place 
    Gave us some ideas for allotment as well , going up tomorrow morning 
  • Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 4,134
    Went to the plot today did some painting on small shed, also painting bench in garden for plot that I got free upcycling it one new plank and wash clean paint
    Temp min/Max in shade part sun later in day said 35.1 yesterday by lunch time - first time put it out in garden near small grow house
    Hampshire Gardener
    The weather this year seems to me to be ideal for growing vegetables and much better than the last two hot dry years, everything that I have planted looks to be growing well and apart from a bit of weeding/hoeing is looking after itself, the weeds on the fringes of the plot have got a bit out of hand but I'm not stressing about that as its good for wildlife and no one else on the site seems too fussed over keeping their plots weed free.
    Went allotment yesterday morning to harvest raspberries/ strawberries 
    Went back in afternoon to water and o/h dug up garlic and left to dry
    Will go up again this evening for watering and possibly a couple of jobs 
    Carrots , peas & beetroot not growing very well