Forum home The potting shed

Allotment Gardening

• barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,350
    The wet weather has come at a good time for me as I have quite a lot of decorating to do so only fleeting visits to the plot, today I checked that the greenhouse tomato watering system is working ok and planted two ornamental gourd plants in between the sweetcorn, weeded onions and shallots and back home for wallpaper hanging duties.
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    It's one advantage of living on the south coast @Gardengirl.. just here we are probably two or three weeks ahead of most people, the seed was sown mid April in pots in the polly tunnel and transplanted out mid May under a cloche at the same time I sowed two more seeds indoors to be on the safe side these plants have now been given away.

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 4,134
    The pumpkin seedings we got given must of not been sown that long ago have tue leaves but ony about 10cm tall
    Went to the pot yesterday got sweetcorn out and glass sweetcorn out, some cabbage and caulifower did get rained off before finishing planting out veg really heavy rain, hoping to finish off planting today
    longest day today for Summer
    Hampshire Gardener
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,842
    very good day at plot yesterday , planed cucamelons 
    Generally weeding and used hedge trimmers on 5 bushes to keep them in order 
    Harvested first lot of Raspberries and some radish that where on tap 
    Disappointed with the number of Parsnips that have come up will use seed tape next year
    need to sort out g/h and move items to plot this weekend
    Dalia bed growing well , so is gladioli, sunflowers , chrysanthemums and other flowers 
    Happy allotment gardening everybody  
    On the plot for 3 hours this morning nice and quiet up there just how I like it, planted Brussels Sprouts and covered with insect mesh cloche, took insect cloche off of carrots and parsnips they were getting cramped under there, weeded and thinned them out and erected insect screen all around them with fleece over the top, a good showing of both carrots and parsnips this year. Planted two melons into the cold frame, butternut squash into the plot and as I was running out of room planted pumpkin plant into the area between the apple and pear trees. Should just about have enough room in the plot to plant out a row of kale when they are ready. Harvested peas, carrots, beetroot, lettuce and radish all for lunch. Won't visit again until Monday to check on progress.
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    Allotment this morning opened up polly tunnel and watered hoeing and weeding and preparing space for more french beans.
    Swapped a large punnet of strawberry for two cucumbers.
    Will go back later to shut up, but spending the afternoon sat under the olive trees on the terrace watching the world at sea go by. ⛵⛵ ☀😎

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
    H Hog we have an Olive tree in a pot , will never grow big enough hear to sit under but do get tiny black olives but certainly couldn’t eat them . Currently sitting in side Conservatory having a beer looking at fields and thinking Need to trim hedge but need water in stream to go down to normal levels first
    Cheers 🍺
    Hello all 
    Allotment now up to date , never spent a whole week to tidy it up before 
    O/H made strawberry , raspberry jam and rhubarb/walnut/date chutney  
    Planted a bed of tomatoes, dill cucumbers 🥒 
    Sorted out G/H as well 
    Need to sort out garden next week 
    Just a flying visit to the plot this morning gave it a good watering even though rain is forecast, yeah right where is it then? Picked broad beans, this is the best year I have had for broad beans! Glad to say that everything I planted last week looks to be thriving.
    Barry I , agree broad beans doing really well , peas not looking to good at moment and French Beans don’t seem to be growing at moment !
    O/H dug up Onions yesterday , currently drying in little plastic g/h