Allotment Gardening

• Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 3,979
    Had a quick look at plot today got a free pumpkin plant as they were giving them away - a farmer dropped them off who delivers the horse manure to site - plot looks pretty wet fed the birds, weeds are growing more with all the rain we have had water butts are full in garden
    Went to a garden show yesterday got rather wet including feet got 2 easy fill basket stands, some sweetcorn as wanted more and PSB plants going to show tomorrow get some flowering plants hope they do a sale day bit more - sometimes they do for the last day
    Hampshire Gardener
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,157
    Only been able to get to the plot to water this week. The plan is to spend the morning there tomorrow. 

Gg. I've not grown winter and summer squash, I presume the difference is, winter squash keep longer after being picked.     

Hampshire-hog. Do you show any other vegetables.   

I still have beans, beetroot and toms to plant out. Cues seedlings aren't growing quickly enough. I had to resow them as the first batch all died. I've nine plants only just showing true leaves, so someway to go before I take them to the plot. I've also some chilli plants which have just not put on much  growth, could be poor compost...

• Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    Spent a little time at plot today just watered in poly tunnel and picked our first cucumbers F1 Baby's 😊

Zoomer I just do the pumpkins it all started a few years ago I grew one just for a bit of fun entered it in the autumn show won 1st prize so since then been doing it each year.

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
    Spent the afternoon on the plot, the sun brought a lot of plot holders out. Plots looking very lush at present. Did lots of weeding and hoeing. Earthed up the sweetcorn too, that's not looking very healthy. Netted the blueberry bushes, I usually loose a lot of berries to birds hopefully not this year. 

Strawberries are looking good although no red one's yet. 

Apart from the meat, tea was fresh from the plot. New potatoes, mangetout, asparagus pea, asparagus tips and swede, followed by rubarb and ice cream.

I did a similar thing Hampshire-Hog, went to a local show and decided I could do just as well with my fruit and veg so entered the following year. Got a mix of 1st, 2nd and 3rds. It's just a bit of fun, some stuff does well and some doesn't. The onion and dahlia sections are ever so competitive though.                    
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,052
    This rain is so long overdue for this part of the country but it has put a bit of a halt on gardening at the moment, I did manage to get two courgette plants in before the rain came (as recommended on Gardeners world last week), and this morning I planted out some Iceberg lettuce in the netted area around the sweetcorn plants (as recommended on Beechgrove garden last week), waiting for the fine weather to return next week before planting out pumpkin and squash plants.
    The pumpkins are just starting to escape  :)  11.06.19

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
    Hampshire-hog your pumpkins are so much further on than mine. My courgettes are beginning to take off though.

They've put on another foot or so since the photo they enjoyed the rain we had but we now need lots of sunshine for the bees and to get the flowers to set.

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,033
    Yes lovely warm day , just popped to plot to water 
    Picked some more asparagus has been rather good this year 
  • Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 3,979
    Hampshire_Hog that is massive pumpkin only just got a free one very small at min
    Went to plot other day and planted the cucamelons and some peas moved some seedlings that looked like sunflower self sown - dug up some bulbs to move

Station garden tomorrow even if it rains
    Hampshire Gardener