Forum home The potting shed

Allotment Gardening

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 2,395
    Yes loganberry is a cross between raspberry & blackberry they tend to ripen between the the two so very useful and distinctive taste too. 
    Shame about the vandalism, I almost dare not say it but we haven't had any problems recently, it seems to go in waves, you just get a bad set of youths that seem to want to do this sort of thing. Never understood it even when I was that age myself. 
    Good session at the plot today except that it's STILL TOO DRY no substantive rain here for over a week keep getting dribs & drabs but not enough to do any good.
    AB Still learning

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,322
    Long day at plot , dug up another bed of onions 🧅 for drying and covered it & another bed with membrane 
    Picked last of strawberries & another 2 tubs of summer raspberries  
    Lots of weeding done 
    Pak Choi 🥬 has gone to seed , will need to dig it up sometime 
    Have spare beds but nothing to put into them this year , one of those things 
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,970
    Picked two fruit from the unknown plant to try today. When pulled off the hull came with the fruit, unlike raspberries. Very soft when cut to look at its makeup. Tasted very sweet and of raspberry,  so maybe it is a variety of summer raspberry. 🤔
  • BigladBiglad Posts: 92
    I'm jealous. Would love an allotment but they're in short supply locally. Some have even closed their waiting lists as they're so long.
    Here is a pic of the latest fruit. As you can see they are bigger than raspberries,  and when pulled the hull does not stay on the plant, is this a summer raspberry thing  ( never had summer one before) or are we still thinking something else? 

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,322
    Purplerallim , I would say those are summer raspberries , enjoy 👍 
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 2,395
    If they pull off the plug easily they are raspberries if they have more of a core they are probably loganberries. Do they grow on a single cane or is there a long arching stem with side fruiting stems on the side, like a blackberry. 
    AB Still learning

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,283
    Drizzly drizzly here, was just brave enough to pop out and grab a big fat marrow for dinner tonight. Just having to accept at the moment with our clay soil that activities are on hold for a bit.

Single stem with fruit on side stems(a bit like tomatoes) The core stays inside when picked, unlike autumn raspberries that pull off. They do taste of raspberry,  but very sweet @Allotment Boy
  • Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 4,057
    Hello all went looked around a farm on Wednesday afternoon for a few hours, members only for the first 2 weeks of them opening up - so many changes they have managed to do with less people about - they are in the middle of building an inside play area, lots to look at so many animals got round saw most of them

At plot started back building of my pallet shed sanding wood and putting up inside.
    Harvested lots of blackberries the other day from just off plot - did hurt my finger
    Hampshire Gardener