Allotment Gardening

• Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 3,979
    Went to the plot today done a few hours of weeding, lots of poppies about the plot some areas clearer trying to clear bit at a time

Thanks for the plants ideas @Hampshire_hog really like the Agastache, Monarda - tried that before my garden really like the flowers, I must have put wrong place

@Tessagardenbarmy welcome to the thread get growing fruit and veg - could you get a hose or few - do you have a water tap there? I have an area in garden it is just not as sunny as my plot
    Hampshire Gardener
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,008
    Hello everybody , final day at plot yesterday before going on hols for 2 weeks 
    Lots of weeding around edges , pulled some Jureslum Artichokes up as they where taking over a path 
    Somebody will keep an eye on it and water if required 
    No doubt the weeds will start growing on the beds
    Final jobs in garden today , just got to cut lawns tomorrow
    Happy gardening everybody  
    Open day today at Woolston garden - we did pretty well with selling plants and some lavender bags to raise money for a shed was a really sunny hot day for it today as well

Tomorrow off to the allotment lots to do
    Hampshire Gardener
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,153
    Enjoy your jollies, GWRS. Sounds like you had an excellent day at Woolston, Gg, hopefully not much more to raise for a shed.  

@Tessagardenbarmy have you thought of swapping your plot, the sites may not all be predominately clay.  

Went to the plot today and planted out summer squash, winter squash and some dahlias. I've been experimenting with dahlias this year. In an attempt to make them more bushy I've nipped off some buds and taken of leaves lower down the stems, also planted them deeper to stop them breaking when they get to tall. Watch this space... :)  

Zooomer still a bit more to raise for shed doing ok so far have about £150 now and hope with get the council community chest fund  - will find out end of July for that
    Zoomer did not know there is a summer squash and winter one - having not grown them before
    I went to the allotment to the shop first took the lavender biscuits I made for the garden open day they liked them as had a few left and we still have some as well
    Then went to the plot and fed birds and done a lot of digging found some more interesting things a on/off switch and a metal gate handle - still area I have not dug before also planted out some turnips
    Hampshire Gardener
    digging today at plot
    Hampshire Gardener
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    Went to plot this morning opened up polly and watered but that was it, had to take wife to enablement centre to get her new calipers and shoes fitted, so a little retail therapy and lunch at GC on the way home 😉
    Decided to rest this afternoon sat on the terrace watching the yachts enjoying the breeze ⛵ , will go back later to close down polly tunnel and put everything to bed.

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
    Went to allotment dug up artichokes to give away later today to someone off free cycle, took free tomato plants from wyevale out of gh they have got bigger and have flowers
    Hampshire_Hog great bit of shopping and lunch at GC tasty food, you can see yachts that is really nice to see the boats and water

Hampshire Gardener
    Went to the plot today bit of digging, so sunny out, big poppies are flowering and got to see a baby sparrow wanting food from daddy cute

Hampshire Gardener
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    Spent four hours at the allotment planted more cauliflowers, Chines lanterns, antirrhinums, cosmos, bronze fennel's all grown from seed.

Also started to lay down weed membrane and wood chips for the show pumpkins, I'm growing just two plants in an old bath this year filled with old horse manure and a few secret ingredients as they trail over the side they will lay on the bark chips and I will select one maybe two fruits on each plant.

Watered plot and polly tunnel, tied in tomatoes and cucumbers.

Rain is forecast for the early hours till about mid morning tomorrow  🤞🤞

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog