Forum home The potting shed

Allotment Gardening

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,189
    Hi TJF welcome to the forum, happy growing.

I've only been able to get to the plot to water this week, sometimes that's a good thing, seedlings and plants in the GH are doing welled and not being overpowered with to much TLC.

A flock of pigeons were disturbed yesterday though, I so them take off as I arrived at the plot, all the brassica's had there leaves missing :( not sure they can be saved, does that mean they won't recover even if I cover the plants with chicken wire, I'm thinking now pigeons ate the kohi rabi and not rabbits:( what should I do, any suggestions are welcome. 
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,274
    Zoomer , can only say 2 chances , so unless you’re got replacement , give them a go !

Thursday we filled up the 3 water cubes we have , few jobs this morning at plot ,  hoping to have a full day on Monday 
    Grass road ways where cut on Friday , so need to tidy up edge of plot 
    Happy gardening everybody 
  • Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 4,040
    GWRS think our grass roads were cut Friday early morning much better
    Zoomer I would say net them hope they recover give them a good lot of water
    At plot digging trying to make path area, made a few plant signs with odd bits of paving stones, also lots of watering
    Hampshire Gardener
    Lots of strimming tonight at plot around on paths, before weather comes in, managed to get out a big metal pole from ground very deep down - not sure what that was for 
    Hampshire Gardener
    Hello , yesterday afternoon dug up Garlic and put it to dry , we reckon its about a month early 
    Planted some Pak Choi 🥬 , don’t think we have grown this before 
    Pleased it’s raining ☔️ today 
    Another good day at allotment, prepared beds for peas , chickpeas & pumkins 
    As ever lots of little jobs done , no need to water after yesterday’s rain 
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,154
    Things slowing down on the plot now with most things in and space dwindling. Been turning my thoughts to some winter veg. For now just tomatoes and some more rows of beans and peas to plant before all the space is used up.

GemmaJF Your garden veg patch looks brilliant well done, really like your fruit trees - what are variety are you growing? archway looks good is that the grass land area

Been to plot harvesting lots of srtawberries, bit of digging finding more weired stuff under ground plastic and big block thing with holes in very heavy, got some beans and peas in veg area in garden, wet on and off today
    Hampshire Gardener
    Gemma , veg patch looks very good
    Went to a g/c yesterday and they had some veg plants 🌱, peas , sugar Snap peas and broccoli purple & ordinary 
    G/C was very quiet 
    Hoping to plant them tomorrow together with pumpkins 🎃 & some chick peas that have germinated both from g/h 
    Hope alls well with everybody 
    Weather ok as forecast so planted items as per last posting 
    Also planted some grasses I dug up from garden that had self seeded in border facing road way . Pleased to say the other plants I put in on the road way border have also taken 
    As ever a bit of weeding 
    Picked some strawberries, spring onions , asparagus ( coming to the end ) , broad beans Lettuce 🥬 for use and neighbours 
    Shopping in morning , then garden in afternoon , should be another nice day , rain due Wednesday