Forum home The potting shed

Allotment Gardening

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,189
    I've been leaving my GH doors open both day and night. The temp has dropped to 10 or 11 but the plants look ok. Watering, every three days unless it's been particularly warm. 

Gg. The Jerusalem artichokes are romping away now.  

Received the entrance sheet for Great Eccleston show this week. I've quite a lot of stuff for categories ready now but it's any bodies guess if anything will be ready mid July. Was going to enter some craft items this year and more in the food section.       
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,054
    The night temps said to be going down to 7 or 8 but the main worry for me is the strengthening wind, I don't want to leave the door open and let it blow in.
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    On the poly tunnel I've had the side vents at one end open for a few weeks now and open the door and back end up most days to ventilate and let the insects in to do their thing. it still gets to 30+ most days, I'm watering and damping down each morning.

Yesterday picked the last of the first pea's from tunnel also harvested lettuce and spring onions, planted out runner beans, sowed dwarf french bean and marigolds, will direct sow more runner and french beans in a few weeks.

Cleared area around compost bins that had got a little overgrown and neglected  put down some bark received the last of the manure 800kg so need to move that today thankfully it's a little cooler, 

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,189
    I can see how wind would be a problem. My plot is sheltered.

Did a lot of weeding and hoeing today. Spinach has bolted so picked what I could and have sown another batch.  
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,281
    Hello , a few more hours at plot today , weeded  raspberry beds and pulled up loads of suckers 
    Weeded the strawberry bed a few days ago and pulled up loads of self sown fox gloves 
    O/H planted up cucumbers  and dill cucumbers 🥒 and sprayed the horsetail at bottom of plot . Sewed more carrots and beetroot 
    Just a couple of more jobs to do before next week’s holiday  
    Jerusalem artichokes are coming up nicely, pulled a few stray one up  
  • Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 4,043
    edited May 2019
    Zoomer glad the j artichokes are doing well
    GWRS not heard about those cucumbers
    Hampshire_Hog what are your perennials in the scented garden?
    Trying to have a scented raised bed in the community

Went to the plot today and did some weeding, planted some stock and Lucy late strawberries for front of plot some have stawberries on already, my other strawberry plants are doing really well - next doors plot there are red ones - they must be early ones
    Weather bit windy now and raining the garden should feel better for that and soil quite had to dig into at plot
    Went to B&Q got hose for plot and sprayer
    Hampshire Gardener
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    @Gardengirl.. Predominately scented roses make up the garden, I also have Thyme, Lavenders, Rosemary, Perennial holly hock, Echinacea, Agastache, Monarda and Perovskia to name a few it's still a work in progress the aim is scent, insect friendly, herbs and colour so I don't want much from it  :/ 

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,281
    Gardengirl , dill cucumbers 🥒 only grow small , have you seen the snack cucumbers that some s/m are selling , that’s the size , grew some last year which did well and are grown outside 
  • tessagardenbarmytessagardenbarmy York,North YorkshirePosts: 346
    Had an allotment for 4 years and it's heavy clay so despite copious cardboard, compost and manure plus lime it's hard work. The weeds under the Autumn fruiting raspberries are rampant and so difficult to control as I don't use sprays resorting to chopping them down with shears then smothering with cardboard to exclude light. May dig up my back lawn and build raised beds for fruit and veg and give up allotment next year. Laugging watering cans from the tank to the plot in last years dry summer and this year's dry spring is not doing my arthritis any good! 
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,054
    Went to the plot today for a few hours planted Kohl Rabi to replace some planted earlier which became desiccated under a fleece cloche, must have got too hot under there. Planted cabbage and netted the area to keep pigeons off. Sowed beetroot, spring onion, turnips and radish. Was going to erect the bean wigwam but got waylaid sorting the worm composter out discovered that it had gone anaerobic, it appeared to be ok the last time that I looked, very smelly hope the worms survive.