Forum home The potting shed

Allotment Gardening

• Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 4,040
    Went to the allotment today in evening and done some strimming lots of weeds cut down - need to do a lot
    Tuesday was helping at community garden station lots of clearing as open day not too far off, planted out some wildflower seeds - the vegpod is doing really well with little seedlings in, also went to tip on way home with prunings

Yesterday went to community garden very early 8am for a compost delivery 2 x 1tonne bags, then spent the time filling up the raised beds and planted up the tyre planter with mint so sunny I got sun tan on arms
    Today got to put up my new walk in gh with green cover after lots of pruning next doors hedges filled the bin plus pruning the broom plant next to gh area, just to get the little gh inside up for the seeds and seedlings, potted up a few tomatoes yellow ones trying them this year, sowed some peas
    Hampshire Gardener
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,271
    Gardengirl, trust the Community garden is coming on nicely , you’ll have to post a picture 
    Another trip to plot this afternoon, we put another 10 barrow loads of bark chipping on paths 
    Have started hoeing up main potatoes 🥔 and watered , as ever weeded a couple of beds 
    Still harvesting asparagus, also a couple lettuces
    Going to plot again tomorrow afternoon  
    I planted out celeriac today gave the birds a water tray a plant pot saucer, and more strimming, saw a few plot neighbours
    GWRS some pictures
    Orange poppy
    Veg pod
    Here is the vegpod in picture and the two raised beds, soil delivery was this Wednesday so had lots of compost to move
    Lavender doing really well and daisys are starting to flower
    daisy

Hampshire Gardener
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,189
    Gg. What a vibrant orange those poppies are. 

Been busy on the plot the past few weeks. Went there today, there was hardly anyone else there though. Only went for a couple of hours but stayed the afternoon. Checked on my fruit tree's and ever so pleased, unless the pigeons get them one cherry tree has lots on and also a pear tree, both for the first time and the apples and plum tree have lots of small fruits too :) The blue berries will need to be netted.  

Two pigeons have nested in the birch tree over looking my plot :( I'm sticking with being organised too, took a risk and started planting out about Easter time which  has paid off, I'm picking asparagus, asparagus pea, spinach, lettuce, radish, spring onion, onions, swede, chard, rubarb and mangetout.

GH number1 is planted up with toms, chillies, peppers, Okra, basil and marigolds.

GH number 2 just has cuemelons and stuff still to go out. The plan is to put cues in this one along with more chilli plants. Not having much fun with chilli plants though, some have been the same size for months! 

Happy growing.                  
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,189
    How do you book mark a thread so you get email reminders, I've not been on for a whilst because I don't get alerts any more....
    The little star at the top of the thread, I've onlly just started getting in my emails as had problem tec team sorted out this week was getting them for ages then stopped getting them last week
    Hampshire Gardener
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,271
    Gardengirl , nice pictures , looks well laid out 
    Been to plot this afternoon , having sorted g/h out this morning 
    Planted purple climbing beans , French beans and peas 
    Still picking asparagus , rhubarb and lettuce 
    Going well 
    Zoomer your trees sound good, and gh full
    GWRS the garden is layed out easy, you have lots planted, not sown beans yet

Went to the community garden today planted the lavender, moved the compost, watered and good tidy up

In garden potted up plants that arrived yesterday summer collection from qvc, then potted up cucamelons, marrigolds, gypsophila covent garden and a few delphinium I grew from seed amazed at them 1st time seeds have grown for me
    Hampshire Gardener
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    Been to the allotment most days this week done lots of general tasks, including planting up perennials in the scented garden area potting up Brussels sprout plugs into pots they can go out mid June, and today planted out the first Runner beans, sowed dwarf french beans and marigolds.
    Been making two trips every day for two or three hours early to open up poly tunnel then in the evening to close and water and everything else in between. 🐗

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,054
    A quick walk up to the allotment this morning just to pick some baby peas and radish for lunch today and to water the greenhouse tomatoes and outdoor plants, they forecast rain but I don't trust the BBC weather to be totally correct. Everything looking ok although something has been digging next to one shallot plant but no damage done. I closed the greenhouse door as the temperature is said to be falling next week and little sun today so just the roof window open. Wont visit again until Tuesday as it will likely be too busy up there tomorrow.