Allotment Gardening

• Started putting the wires up between the posts yesterday afternoon. Planted my new Concord pear from Aldi and had to cut it back quite severely! Also replanted one of the apple trees that was already on the plot - which luckily had arms already in the right places for the first tier. So did careful pruning on that one. Lopped off the top and cut back the arms by a third to downward facing buds. Reduced the other spurs and branches.

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,405
    It does seem a bit viscous when training fruit trees doesn't it @Mr. Vine Eye . All that growth that needs to come off nearly breaks my heart to do, but it is a must if you want a productive tree. 🙄🙂
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 2,261
    Finally got a bit done today as we had a rare dry day. Put in some Broad bean plants that have been ready for ages, but I was worried the high winds would kill them off despite them being hardened off at home. Also cleared the cabbage & old broccoli stumps out of the brassica cage need to get it dismantled to move again soon. 
    AB Still learning

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,031
    A good trip to plot this afternoon , forked over two beds and covered with membrane 
    Dug up rest of parsnips and forked bed over , all now ready for the bad weather 

• What's the thoughts on putting food waste on the allotment compost bin?  We have just built a 3-bay compost bin with pallets on our plot.  We plan to move our home compost bin contents (mostly food waste) down to the plot.  We typically get rats in the home compost bin every Winter.  Should we keep that as a separate bin at the plot, or is it fine to just add it to the green waste from the plot in the open bays?
    K on G , you could end up with even more Rats 🐀 at the allotment 
    I personally wouldn’t do it 
    If you do , let us known how you get on , best of luck 😉
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,052
    I add kitchen waste to the allotment bin which seems fine in the warmer months but at this time of year its pretty obvious that the rats are eating most of the peelings, but hey it either means that the council food recycling bin overflows at home or the rats get a free meal what can you do!
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,052
    3 hours digging at the plot today the ground is still very wet and some plots have areas of standing water, hopefully the weather will stay dry and sunny with a breeze which will dry the soil out some. On the home front the garden greenhouse is getting enough sun to move the overwintering Fuchsia cuttings plus some from a Hebe and perennial wallflowers, also last years chilli plants, broad beans in cardboard tubes and peas in guttering. Things are starting to move on the growing front so now the weather needs to play ball please, thank you!
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,307
    Just replaced one of my raised beds... RB2... with 4 angle irons and some scaf boards to a height of 30 inches.

Got the 4 irons for RB1 which will be only 20 inches high to be used as a seed bed

Then to finish off the pond ready for Spring 

Need to re paint the shed as some of the paint is peeling off.

All 8   four foot beds covered in manure and Im ready to plant out when the home started seedlings are ready
    Never change Tigers in Mid Stream
    Spent yesterday morning at plot pruning nearly all done , unfortunately rain stopped play at 2-30 
    Hoping to get there on Friday , weather permitting , started to get a few weeds growing