Forum home The potting shed

Allotment Gardening

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,271
    Been to plot to recover cabbage 🥬 & broccoli 🥦 as it had out grown the fleece cover 
    Also an allotment meeting 
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,189
    Hope you get the new plot Hampshire_hog. I thought our site was big with 80 plot, yours must be huge. 

We've had a good run of rising temperatures here, both during the day and at night so I've been busy hardening off and planting out.         
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    Been to the allotment in the last few days early mornings to open up the tunnel and back in the evenings to close it back up. 
    My late summer / winter Cauliflower and Broccoli plugs arrived on Saturday so they have been potted up they can form a better root ball and will go out mid June also planted out some Echinacea purpurea and Aquilegia 'Swan Mixed'  in the gardens around the seating area also general watering, hoeing and weeding. 🐖

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 4,040
    edited May 2019
    Sounds as though it is busy as always on here I am having problems with notifications at min hope tech team sort out this week
    Went to allotment for plant sale today got some asters and phlox so many people donate cabbage and cauliflowers - bit over run they had loads left
    Went to the fun fair in park later in day
    Yesterday was a busy day We had a stall at the local spring fayre for the train station leaflets posters garden volunteering stuff, selling raffle tickets to win train tickets and plants for the shed fund, also I had made some cakes for sale for the cup cake day for Alzheimer charity - sold a few of both rest of plants will be for our open day on 1st June
    I did set up timelaspe cam on my blue tit birds at plot last week so sorting though picture had to put on disk computer full of space will try and up load some have got one of the baby blue tit head out of house they have now gone think, the great tits in garden fledged the caravan and I could hear them around garden a bit today with mum and dad using the feeder which is good they have stayed around garden
    Hampshire Gardener
    Good morning , had to buy some sprout plants from g/c has those at home got cooked in g/h 
    Decided this year to plant peas directly into the beds , don’t do very well with peas
    Prepared a bed for leeks which will go in soon  
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,054
    Went to the allotment this morning planted red onions grown from seed and eight marigold plants, did some weeding around the peas and broad beans. Tomorrow the sweetcorn plants will go in which isn't a massive job but I will put a posts and wire fence barrier around them to keep the deer off, just in case!
    That's it sweetcorn plants in and netted, that leaves just enough ground for runner beans, butternut squash, pumpkin and a row of brussels and curly kale. Melons to go into the coldframe and leeks go in where the second early potatoes come out. That's 75% of the plot cultivated as per allotment rules and regulations.
    Hello , afternoon at plot , leeks , pumpkins , more cabbage 🥬, sprouts and marigolds , read some where they help keeping white flys away ! Planted  
    And watered , lovely sunny day 
  • Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 4,040
    That is good Barry island -  we have a 50% rule on cultivation so your is more than mine

Been helping out at train station garden today multi tasking had a small bark chipping delivery thanks to us asking from house near by so that went around the newly built raised beds and planted some asparagus and sowed wildflower seeds and lots of tidying up - got really hot today - sun super shining
    Hampshire Gardener
    I used to have access to a councils wood chip storage heap it was about eight feet deep and used to steam, ten or twelve bags of that over two or three years did wonders breaking up the heavy clay in my front garden border, the only problem with wood chip was the cats used to love to use it as a toilet, it took years before they stopped doing it.