Allotment Gardening

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 6,896
    Went to allotment this morning , unfortunately the rain came earlier than forecast so didn’t really get much done  , did a minor repair to small storage shed 
    Also found small hole in main shed roof felt , however , only had small steps so couldn’t repair it will need bigger steps , always some thing to do 
    Have just had an hour in garden in between showers so a bit more done 
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 2,163
    Last Allotment trip was Wednesday am, mostly just to check replacement water but was filling properly, it wasn't so put some sealant on the joint at the gutter and the down-pipe. Ground absolutely saturated even the paths are difficult to walk on standing water on several plots as per my previous photo. Interestingly we have several plot holders who only ever rotavate & do not dig deeply, these  plots all have lots of standing water & big puddles on them, even some that are not in low lying areas!
    AB Still learning

Managed a couple of hours on plot today, even did a  bit of digging though the ground is still a bit too wet, I just turned over a patch & pulled out the worst of the weeds as I went. Not exactly textbook but better than nothing. With all this wet we run the risk of being a long way behind when the better weather finally arrives.
    AB Still learning

• That's my worry too by this stage in the year I would usually have 75% prepared whereas it's less than 50% done. Every year's different but in my experience the weather usually corrects for overly wet or dry periods so it needs to sort itself out.
    Mine is less than 25% done!
    AB Still learning

• Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 3,972
    Cleared a bag of weeds from allotment today all put in gw bin, my plot not that clear yet still quite a few weeds

GWRS and all - you would be delighted to know we have a shed base and shed in our community garden at the station
    The shed got put up yesterday by a team of three from elfords sheds 20foot by 8foot

looks good and solid
    Hampshire Gardener
    Gardengirl , shed looks a good size , will you get metal grills or shutters for the windows ?

Just been to allotment this afternoon, looking not to bad , do need to put old broccoli and cabbage plants into compost bins 
    Hoping to go to allotment on Friday / Saturday subject to weather 

• Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 3,972
    GWRS will be having shutters on windows when they send the right wood to the shed people as he got sent the wrong stuff and could not make it yet, the shed is in a community garden but fenced off at min just for volunteers

Our carpark closest to plot is muddy and well churned up could be ploughed by the look of it 
    Hampshire Gardener
    Gardengirl , we managed to get some “free Road plannings “which we put on really the muddy bits of car park and roads on the site , made a big difference