Allotment Gardening

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,152
    Spent the afternoon down on the plot. Was going to take some pictures but it was too sunny.

Carried on planting up the GH with toms, okra, chillies and peppers. Not having a lot of luck with cues, the first batch died and the 2nd batch haven't germinated. 

Planted out mini pop, I may have done that to early but it's forcast good weather for this coming week.    
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 927
    My tomatoes must go into the allotment greenhouse soon as they are getting too big for the pots.
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 6,904
    Long day at plot yesterday , hoed up Potatoes 🥔 , cleaned small storage shed and lots of jobs done , everything is growing nicely , including stuff in the G/H 
    Cutting lots of asparagus
    Started cutting Hawthorn hedges today at home 
    going to plot tomorrow afternoon   
    Hello , been to plot this morning , o/h planted sweet corn 🌽, have grown this for a few year due to rats eating it but as rat 🐀 problem under control , thought we would give it another go 
    O/H also narrowed 10 loads of bark Chipping's from communal pile to renew paths
    Prepared beds for Leeks
    If not raining tomorrow will pop up again as there is an Allotment Committee meeting at 2-00  
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    The plot next to mine has just come back on the market a new couple took it on last year but never did anything much and it's now become overgrown again, so I have been in contact with the council to see if they will let me jump in and take it on before it gets to bad.

I'm not really jumping any queue as there is no waiting list at this site we have 360 plots and always have a few vacant ones so 🤞 they will say yes. 🐖

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
    H Hog , 360 plots that seems like a big site , we have about 60 
    Hope your successful 
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    edited May 2019
    GWRS yes we are lucky in the borough we have ten council sites and one private they go from just 10 plots on one site to ours which is the largest, they all have a warden and four have shops opening a various times and offer some good deals. 🐖

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
    I have sweetcorn plants in pots growing well I will harden them off this weekend and plant them on the allotment next week, the weather looks like it will be warm enough with mild nights. The carrots and parsnips are growing well with just a couple of gaps where the germination didn't happen so I have filled those in with seed. Broad beans and peas which were started in the greenhouse in January and transplanted in March are flowering and the ones sown into the ground in March are growing well. Tomatoes are planted into bottomless sunken buckets in the allotment greenhouse and look well. Potatoes sown in March are all showing above the earthed up soil. Gooseberries, apple and pear trees have fruit on them. Two sowing's of radish, turnips, spring onion and beetroot have germinated and growing well. Onions grown at home from seed are in the ground now. Shallots grown from sets are growing, welsh onions look good and the deer haven't eaten the tops off this year. Row of cabbage growing well, Kohn Rabi and lettuce doing well. In fact everything is looking good and far better than anything was doing this time last year it's a wonder what a bit of rain at the right times can do.
    Barry , agree a bit of sun & rain at the right times works wonder 
    Noticed yesterday that Apple trees leaves don’t look to good , aphids I think , will spray with soapy water 
    Only problem is some seeds in g/h got cooked !
    Well I though the same the other day, my apple and pear tree only came into leaf what feels like a couple of weeks ago and I noticed the other day that every bug and spot and blemish seems to have been having a go at the leaves.