Forum home The potting shed

Allotment Gardening

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 5,012
    Made it there today   picked sprouts, and had a check round. All very wet and soggy,  very mild though,  the car reckoned it was 16 C quite mad. The Rhubarb is sprouting and the daffodils under the plum tree are showing green tips already. 
    AB Still learning

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,245
    Happy New Year everyone 😁
    I agree @barry island the new season seems to come upon us quicker each year.
    I have already sorted the seeds and where they are going, so it's just wait till sowing time for me.
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,949
    Hello , went to plot yesterday , sorted out nets for Broccoli / Sprouts and picked some of each 
    A few more jobs done and burning pile getting bigger 
    Got to plot today and used both fire bins for burning 🔥 prunings and other bits 
    Dug up rest of carrots 🥕, a small cabbage 🥬 and some leeks 

Also set my new rat 🐀 trap , will go up there Sunday morning to see if successful 

Hope alls well with everybody 
    Not made it to the plots all week. The only 2 dry non frosty days were spent attending to a leaky greenhouse roof light at home.  Pleased that when I checked this morning,  my efforts seem to have worked.
    AB Still learning

Hello , only caught a mouse so far 
    A few trips to allotment , cut and burnt Jureslum Artichokes stems , then covered with bark/green chippings , 10 barrow loads 
    Cleared up cabbage 🥬 bed and covered with membrane until needed 
    Bought Maris Piper main crop and Foremost 1st early potatoes 🥔 , now chitting 

Getting to plots a couple of times a week.  Did manage some bits of digging but melting frost makes the surface very sticky.  Yesterday harvested sprouts and parsnips.  I am eyeing the PSB with anticipation,  but will wait till it's headed up a bit more to make the harvest more worthwhile.  Resisted buying seed spuds, as keeping them frost free but in the light is tricky here.
    AB Still learning

@Allotment Boy I’ve got spuds chitting in conservatory at home so no chance they’ll get frosted 
    Broad beans & spring onions coming up nicely but under clouches 
    I don't have a conservatory,  one end of utility room has natural light but space is tight.  
    AB Still learning

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,258
    Hi everyone. It's been awhile since I posted.

Hope everyone is well. I didn't get down to the plot as much as I'd liked last year. It's 8 yrs this'month since I got it, quite a mile stone when you think most don't get through the first year 😁