Forum home The potting shed

Allotment Gardening

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,083
    I think my damaged carrots started with slugs, but the woodlice took advantage too.
  • WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 1,256
    Pulled up all the Pak choi which had become rather triffid like and very bitter. Sieved some of my own compost and sowed broad beans in pots. Not used my compost before for seeds and potting on and am excited to see how it goes.
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,882
    Hello , went to allotment this morning for a couple of hours and harvested a few items 

Hoping to spend Saturday there to start the winter tidy up 
    Got to allotment today cut Autumn raspberries down and mulched 
    Started on summer raspberries as well
    Had a good burn 🔥  up of various bits 
    Picked a lovely cabbage 
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 4,519
    My trips to the Allotments have been very limited recently.  I am suffering with tennis elbow in my left arm and every time I try anything bigger than a bit of harvesting it flares up again.  One of the plotholders has found a good source of cow muck and several others have now had deliveries. The nearest I could get it would be on a path 2 plots away,  no way I could wheelbarrow that much at the moment. 😕
    AB Still learning

• That's one thing with having an allotment plot you need to have good health especially in the summer months, I haven't been on top form for a few weeks myself and haven't visited the plot until this morning, kitchen waste was building up so I really needed to go just to take that up, lovely crisp morning and everything looked to be looking after itself but during the growing season it would be a different matter. Look after your elbow and leave the muck until you are fit.
    Managed a visit yesterday and today,  did some clearing up and a bit of spur thinning on the trained Apples yesterday. Today had a fire to get rid of the now bone dry summer prunings, and a bit of digging.  I have one of those spring action forks so I don't have to lift the soil. Helps the arm cope,  but it's only good for rough winter digging. 
    AB Still learning

@Allotment Boy @barry island , hope you are both feeling fully fit soon 

Went to allotment today but stayed lest than an hour as it suddenly started to rain 
    Pleased to say to no damage from recent winds but net around sprouts & brocli needs attention
    The weekends bit of snow  & frosts have blackened Dalias , was intending to deal with them but !
    A bit behind with jobs due visitors last month , hopefully get to plot a few more times this month 

Hello , went to allotment and  heavy rain started , so came home , not raining at home so cleaned cars 
    Got to plots,  it wasn't quite as saturated as I expected, but I didn't try any more digging.  I tuned out the last of the finished compost, and mulched the raspberries with it. I then started again with some shredded apple prunings and turned the other  box into it. Pruned the blackberry canes. Not a bad morning if a little grey and a cold wind, so good jobs to do to keep warm 
    AB Still learning