Forum home The potting shed

Allotment Gardening

• barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,350
    Visited the plot on Monday uncovered and weeded the leeks not much sign of rust and no sign of leek moth. did some more tidying and started digging the top bed the ground was surprisingly fairly weed free and easy to dig although I doubt it will be now after the recent rain. It looks like it will be one visit per week to the plot now instead of the usual three but no matter because I'm well on target to get everything done even allowing for bad weather.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 4,339
    Managed a decent session at plots this afternoon.  Too wet to dig but other jobs done. Sorted through the stored Apples, had to chuck several from each box, but rest look fine. Cut all the tops of the strawberries,  they will regrow soon.  Most of the rest was harvesting,  including some late grown French beans.  I took a gamble on sowing them , it didn't work last year but it's been so mild this year, that I have a crop worth picking. 
    AB Still learning

I've still got a row of iceberg lettuce and purple kohl rabi growing but the last lettuce from the previous sowing had turned tough more like a cabbage so I don't hold out much hope for the latest sowing.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 4,339
    I'm still getting little gem and lollorosso , having to take a few of the outermost leaves off the little gem but otherwise they are OK.
    AB Still learning

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,063
    Very disappointed with the little gem lettuce this year. Tried two different seed packets bought this year and both grew with tough not crisp leaves.  Not pleasant to eat.
    Now pulled the last of my carrots,  Nantes and Speedo. Still like Speedo the best. A good 2kg from the second/third sowing

Nice carrots there they are  better grown in containers aren't they.
    They were in a raised bed about 2ft tall, as my knees don't work, so yes I have found carrots and beetroot do well in there @barry island
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,840
    Hello , must be a carrot year , I’ve done very well
    Unfortunately beetroot has been very small , all now pulled up and eaten 
    Cut asparagus down at home , have 2 very small self seeded beds 

Hi @GWRS
    I was trying the Nantes for the first time this year, as it seemed to be a popular variety. 
    I found it took longer to get to size, and it didn't have the flavour of Speedo.
    As I was growing two varieties I had more planted than last year, but even still with the first sowing under a closhe till May, because of the weather, three sowings is alot.
    I also grew beetroots to size for the first time, they failed in the past, so will be growing again next year instead of potatoes.