Forum home The potting shed

Allotment Gardening

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,015
    I quite agree @Allotment Boy what  with being blindsided by the weather, seed producers,  compost and manure manufacturers,  its a wonder we ever get anything to fruition 😆
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,307
    Well that keeps us going if nothing else "there's always next year" and who knows what challenges and opportunities that will bring.
  • WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 1,244
    I've filled the gaps between 2 pairs of raised beds meaning I now have 3 large raised beds. It's made approximately 8ft*4ft extra altogether which makes keeping onions moving around the plot easier. The spinach, mizbuna, spring cabbage and kale that were sown/planted in the greenhouse are now romping on. I'm doing nightly slug patrols to keep them at bay 
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 4,208
    I have managed to start digging on the Allotments.  The ground is still quite dry in spite of the rain. 
    AB Still learning

Picked all the apples on one tree some were very clean and looked as good as shop bought ones the damaged ones will be cooked and frozen, the apples on other tree were small and spotty I guess the affects of rust or similar but I have cut back into the bramble bushes which were encroaching on them by around 8ft which should improve the air flow next year. I'm not a big fan of bonfires but will have to have one on Monday to get rid of the brambles as fires are allowed from October until April. The overgrown plot next to mine has been taken I'll see how long these take before they get disillusioned (so many come with good intentions not knowing what's involved).
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,279
    Ha!ha! Reminds me the bitten lips of neighbours when I took over my plot over three months ago...as they thought I was probably some silly person that hadn't seen bindweed before in my life 🤣 my it had been abandoned twice before me...so can understand the circumspection... hopefully by now they must know I keep on top of the weeds and have done quite a bit of planting. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
    The allotment chairman said that they had been told that they had to actually dig the plot and that strimming and weed killer wasn't considered to be cultivation, they have turned a bit of ground over without removing any weeds so we'll see how long it is before the novelty wears off.
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,279
    Ah hope they get on top of it...I always tell people that if they don't like weeding, gardening is not for them 🤣
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
    Walked to the plot this morning to cut a lettuce and kohl rabi for lunch, I took a bag of kitchen scraps for the compost bin and as I removed the lid from the bin I saw the back end of a rat as it sped into the depths of the compost, from what I saw it looked to be in quite good condition so I must be feeding them well, ah! the joys of allotmenting can't say that I would want to live too near to an allotment though.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 4,208
    Got to plots this morning,  really only harvested, produce and sorted through the  potatoes in store.  Only one "bad" one to chuck,  but it's a good idea to check regularly as they can turn very quickly.  I am optimistic  that I will get a late crop of dwarf beans. They are in flower and some small pods are forming. 
    Weeds and grass everywhere but too wet to deal with them. 
    AB Still learning