Forum home The potting shed

Allotment Gardening

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,788
    Hello , couple of hours this morning at plot
    O/H picked some red currants , Gooseberrys, jostaburys & raspberries , going to make some mixed fruit jam 
    Not that many berries as normal but a lot of growth 

Only watered tomatoes as thunderstorms forecast from 4-00 

I pruned 2 plum trees , again a lot of growth , no fruit and looks like no fruit on my 2 pear 🍐 trees , I think they where effected by lots of late frost 
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,990
    I have nothing on my pear or plum either @GWRS , but the apple is full of fruit.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 4,098
    A couple of hours at plots today.  Watered and fed tomatoes,  then lots of harvesting,  peas, beans,  courgettes, lettuce,  strawberries and a few raspberries. 
    AB Still learning

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,788
    No rain so o/h went to allotment this evening and watered 
    Big Thunderstorm at about 6pm so no watering needed here.
    AB Still learning

• Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 4,134
    We had really bad thunder storms last night
    Did little strimming on plot today and pruned my apple and a few pear trees as were getting tall
    nothing on my plum trees at plot a few at home in garden
    Hampshire Gardener
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,259
    No rain in Northampton although we were promised a deluge so will have to walk to the plot this afternoon to water.
  • Mr. Vine EyeMr. Vine Eye Posts: 1,724
    First trip to the plot today after 10 days of self isolation. Did strimming and mowing getting the place back into shape again. Removing sideshoots from the tomatoes. I'd ask OH to do that when she went to water but she didn't feel confident identifying them - the side shoots we're now as long as the plants themselves! Turning into proper bushes. Should have seen the size of the pile once they'd all been cut off.

Removed a load of algae from the wildlife pond, left it on the side for the critters to get back to the pond. Looking good and now spotted our first amphibian visitor! 

My boys have decided to call it Sammy - after Fireman Sam 😄

No real rain here either,  few spits & spots but not enough.  More weeding and harvesting today. 
    AB Still learning

• WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 1,229
    I've finished the podding peas pulling them all up as they were rapidly turning to bullets, the mangetout are still producing a good bit. 

Sowed spinach, wild rocket, turnips, beetroot and some chard this morning, I added 2/3 inches of compost and netted it over after as the blackbirds chuck the fresh compost everywhere along with the seeds. 

Lots and lots of watering being done as we haven't had any proper rain in weeks.