Forum home The potting shed

Allotment Gardening

• Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 4,134
    Any picture to look at?
    Hampshire Gardener
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,083
    Given up on the golden beetroot as it bolted. The Apache spring onions are pulling good, at this rate will last well. The potatoes are bidding for freedom and taking over, is there such a thing as too much top growth with Charlotte potatoes? Early planted lettuce is doing well, but trying to get the next lot to germinate is proving difficult.  Tom's romping away , but none ripe yet, they do have until 31st before I consider them late.🙂
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,882
    Purplerallim , our early lettuce 🥬 has all bolted and second lot not germinated , so o/h bought a living lettuce from s/m and I have split it up and planted it ,have done this before and makes excellent cut again salad leaves 
    Ok so not just me, maybe the fluctuating temperatures are to blame. How about potato top growth, can it be too big @GWRS
    Purple , there is certainly a lot of top growth on potatoes 🥔 , have 3 potato sacks at home going to empty them tomorrow , will let you known the results 
    Went to plot yesterday evening to water 
    I have grown in potato bags before, and it worked ok @GWRS .
    This year new raised bed 4×4 foot planted with Charlotte potatoes. Never seen such top growth. Good green , in flower but taking over ( nearly impossible to use the 2 foot path each side) Day of the triffids like.😁
    Went to the allotment today, got lots of digging done cleared loads of bindweed, a nettle did get me and a red ant ouch, covered ground with weed matting until ready to plant up, did a good lot of watering
    Hampshire Gardener
    Hello , emptied potato sacks at home , not brilliant , to much foliage and took compost to allotment this afternoon and spread on a couple of beds
    Collected Shallots that I had dug up earlier and left to dry , back home , now in small plastic g/h drying along with onions & garlic
    O/H Picked more raspberries & strawberries 🍓 and watered
    It’s the The Village Produce show on Saturday so o/h was checking on what we can put in , as ever some are looking good , gone over or hopeless
    I’m helping set it up on Friday night , making teas for judges on Saturday and helping to clear up , going to be a busy couple of days 
    Happy gardening 
    Lots of painting done of small shed at plot, weeding and digging found a fork today, tennis ball yesterday, lots of watering with watering cans
    Hampshire Gardener
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,396
    Only flying visits to the plot this week just to keep an eye on things and watering plants, everything's looking good apart from one tomato plant showing signs of stress so I have increased automatic watering back up to three times a day in the greenhouse. Cut flowers off of potatoes I know it probably won't make much difference to the crop but it only took ten minutes and I never like having to clear all of the seeds off the plot after harvesting the potatoes. Checked gooseberries but they're not ready to pick yet although the blueberries in tubs at home will need netting as they are starting to turn blue, looks like it will be a good crop this year. Weather looks cooler tomorrow so won't need to water for a few days.