Plants just dumped in stores not looked after-Anyone notice this

• yorkshireroseyorkshirerose North YorkshirePosts: 308
    More people should support their local Garden Centres. I work in one, its' family run and independent, The standard is very high and the staff are well trained in most depatments. The plants are sourced from good British nurseries and are of very high quality - reflected in the price. We offer a 2 year guarantee on most plants provide they have been cared for correctly. Customers are very confident in the advice we give them, this is proved by the huge number of people who return to shop with us year after year.

Supermarkets and DIY stores do not offer the services as given at most good Garden Centres. Has anyone ever asked the staff there where their plants originate?

If you want the best - talk to the people who have the knowledge and know how.
    A gardener's work is never at an end  - (John Evelyn 1620-1706)
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,109
    Absolutely agree, just that we don’t have much in that way here.
    I don’t buy anything, all grown from seeds and cuttings, but not everyone can do that or have the time or the space, the supermarkets were a cheap easy option.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• oooftoooft Posts: 154
    I bought 2 roses from pound land yesterday. Had a look through their selection of dry plants crammed into a dull shelf, mainly all dead. Found two with white shoots  desperately trying to survive. Walked away, felt like I'd left two puppies with broken legs behind so went back to rescue them. Really annoys me that so many shops don't seem to realise these things are alive and deserve a shot at life 
  • HOLEDIGGERHOLEDIGGER Posts: 87
    I so agree with what the plant caring people have been saying about the RUBBISH QUALITY of plants in too many of our supermarkets left to die in the front of the shop what a disgusting sight!!! Very off putting. I have reported my thoughts to management but no one seems to care, have written a review about my local Sainsbury’s lack of care, no action taken, why put them on show + pay good money to put them straight into the bin. 
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,156
    I went to a local GC and couldn't believe it did not sell small travel trays and I needed to ask were the seed trays were, it had diversified so much in what it sold. . 

Our B&Q though, has  a head of department or equivalent who has an allotment, they had a birds nest in one of their outdoor trolley's last year. There's usually very little in their nearly dead section because they look after their plants, it's a shame they are closing soon and being replaced with an Aldi store. 
  • BirminghamMarc1972BirminghamMarc1972 Birmingham Posts: 595
    The worst I've ever seen is homebase. If you can get their the day of a delivery the plants are fantastic and I can't moan about the prices but once they have been their for a couple of days forget it because they NEVER WATER even though the floor is wet because of a leaking hose pipe. Oh the irony 
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,109
    Our B n Q used to be quite good for plants and I’ve bought their trellis fencing and posts, now it’s turned into a Costa, an M&S food hall and a B&M. 
    We don’t have a diy store anywhere near now. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• tomstattyeadtomstattyead Posts: 26
    Hi, I was in my local Tesco yesterday, the plants were out side but very dry . I picked one out ,took it inside and told them. They sold it to me for 50p , its now perked up.
  • cyprycypry Posts: 21
    Find your local nurseries and you should see what these "Garden centres" and supermarkets return. I saved 31 Clematis a few weeks back that were returned by Wickes to the nursery and ready to go into the green recycling bin.
    This was just two trays from a cage that I rescued. There were about 30 trays per cage, and close to 70-80 cages, all ready for the off.
    Am seriously thinking of seeing if I can take a larger portion of them next time and donate to local nursing/old peoples homes in the area.
    ps, of the 31 I rescued, only one is looking like it might not recover.

• PeggyTXPeggyTX Posts: 357
    edited 21 July
    We see that so much in the big garden centers in Texas.  They often put shade mesh fabric overhead to help with the 38ºC sun/heat our summers dish out.  They seem to be attentive and water well in April and May when plants are first delivered from the wholesale nurseries.  But when June/July scorching temps hit us, they just seem to stop watering before it's too late!  I blame the department managers for such lax plant care.  I've often wondered why the corporate office is willing to take such a profit loss.  But you can get some great deals on "rescues" if you visit often and keep an eye out.
    My low-carb recipe site:  www.buttoni.wordpress.com  10-yrs & counting!