Forum home Tools and techniques

gardening machine guarantee's

I was just thinking about some of the tools ive had for years and it came to mind rip off's when it comes to the12 month guarantee bit,

Take for instance the mower, How many people use the mower for a full 12 months in any one year?
So really your only getting approx 6/9 months use out of pre the guarantee running out.

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,455
    Decent mowers come with several years of warranty cover though.
  • Hi wild edges,
    Like who gives serveral years of warranty?
    I would really like to know,
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,446
    Hope @wild edges doesn’t mind me popping this here 
    https://www.honda.co.uk/lawn-and-garden/owners/warranty.html
     :) 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165
    Good old Honda. I wish I'd gone with my instincts and  bought one rather than the John Deere piece of garbage I have now.
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,446
    I know you think very highly of them @Hostafan1 👍 Sadly I think that John Deere aren’t what they were back in the day ... I know of reputable businesses who always used them who now won’t touch them with a barge pole ... both horticultural and agricultural equipment.
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

I know you think very highly of them @Hostafan1 👍 Sadly I think that John Deere aren’t what they were back in the day ... I know of reputable businesses who always used them who now won’t touch them with a barge pole ... both horticultural and agricultural equipment.
    I spent more on that flippin' useless pile of plap than I spent on buying my car and I've regretted it ever since.
    Devon.
  • Im really interested in your FINDING your john Deer so bad, the reason im so interested is that the engines used briggs/stratton are in so many verious machines and well tested the actual design of the belt decking on the John Deer is made to come off the machine by a few bolts and cleaned on a work bench if required, the belt  is replaced via the top outside area of the decking without re-moving the decking and the cleaning plug on the decking (   as for hose pipe use ) was used by john Deer as one of the first companies to offer this cleaning method,
    saftey wise again the seat has a device to cut the engine should the rider fall off the machine,
    Now let's hear why your so against John Deer, it'll be good for all who read this section to read both sides of the coin "so to speak"  Agreed?

Im looking forward to your reply with all your faults ref your experience .

Just to finish I really believe in quality in every tool I buy including the maker STILH tools
    again ive used this brand for years and could'nt knock them they're not the cheapest but i believe they're one of the very best companies providing a very good set of tools for those of us willing to pay for such goods.

HOSTAFAN1 Lets see if we can understand your problem with John Deer Lawn mower.
    if the grass is bone dry , the ground is dead level and the it's never more than about 2" high, I reckon it would be fine. On my sloping very wet and bumpy Devon garden, it's useless.
    The chute blocks up before the sensor  goes off to say the hopper is full, sometimes it goes when the hopper is barely half full. The safety guards around the belts have an open front and end up rammed with dry grass which once caught fire ,(I kid you not )
    I've had to have the hopper brackets replaced by the dealership as they accepted that the originals were useless, the "deflector" accessory didn't have anywhere on the mower to be attached, another visit from the dealer.
    If I hit a bump, one of the belts is likely to bounce off , or snap and at £70 each they're pretty expensive to replace. 
    I could go on ,and on , and on.  
    Devon.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,554
    Im really interested in your FINDING your john Deer so bad, 

HOSTAFAN1 Lets see if we can understand your problem with John Deer Lawn mower.
    I can’t see WE sorting out @Hostafan1 mower, if the approved agents mechanic can’t do anything with it, other than regular visits to repair something I can’t see this poster doing anything with it. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,455
    My dad has a JD ride on mower and if you use the mulching mode rather than the collection box it sprays grass clippings everywhere up to a height of about 2 metres. Terrible design.