Forum home Tools and techniques

Edging tools

A couple of weeks ago on GW Monty was doing some lawn edging using what looks like a shortened spade.  As I have a lot of edging to do I thought I'd try to find out more, as a flat bottom edge will obviously cut the length much more quickly than a half moon. 
Quick search with dear old Google quickly found the item, and just as quickly put paid to any thoughts of having one.  Over a hundred quid for a lawn edging tool!!!!???  Not in my price bracket I'm afraid.

• B3B3 Posts: 14,970
    I find a half moon is just fine.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 4,485
    B3 said:
    I find a half moon is just fine.
    Generally yet, but I want to sink edging in between lawn and bed so need to get down 3 or 4 inches.  A half moon doesn't give consistent depth unless you only move it along half it's width each time.  The tool Monty was using looked to be at least as wide as a garden spade, possibly wider, so would do that job a lot better.
  • AchtungAchtung Poole, Dorset. Posts: 159
    Couldn't you have one made by your local metalworkers/blacksmith. It's not a particularly complex thing to form from sheet metal. I'm sure anyone who works with metal fencing could knock one up for you for a lot less than £100.
  • Sam80Sam80 North HampshirePosts: 40
    You did better than me. I watched it and wanted one too but couldn’t find one anywhere 
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 4,485
    Achtung said:
    Couldn't you have one made by your local metalworkers/blacksmith. It's not a particularly complex thing to form from sheet metal. I'm sure anyone who works with metal fencing could knock one up for you for a lot less than £100.
    I hadn't thought of that as an option.  Potentially worth investigating.
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,730
    I have the Wolf Garten Half Moon Edger and it does the job fine. Much nicer to use than my old spade.
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,730
    KT53 said:

Quick search with dear old Google quickly found the item, and just as quickly put paid to any thoughts of having one.  Over a hundred quid for a lawn edging tool!!!!???  Not in my price bracket I'm afraid.
    Could you post the reference of that tool, please? 
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • AchtungAchtung Poole, Dorset. Posts: 159
    You've got me thinking about this KT as I do a lot of edging and it would be nice to have the choice between half moon or straight edge. I reckon if you have an angle grinder or know someone who has then you'd only need to cut a rectangle then two cuts from each side, near one end, not all the way to the centre and hammer that around your handle to form it. Couple of screws or bolts and a quick sharpen of blade end with grinder. Done! 
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 1,850
    I didn’t see the programme but perhaps this one Papi Jo

https://www.clifton.co.uk/products/sneeboer-edging-shovel
  • B3B3 Posts: 14,970
    Dumb question, but wouldn't it be easier to get someone to slice the end off a spade?
    In London. Keen but lazy.