Forum home Problem solving

Online company needs closing down

If anyone has fallen foul of Gardening Express, the online plant supplier, it’s time to take action. Reading through the company’s reviews, it’s pretty obvious that customers are pulling their hair out...let alone the plants they’ve been supplied! 
 I purchased three dogwoods along with many more plants in early spring. Having planted out the whole lot I discovered, to my horror, that the pots were infested with vine weevil. I contacted GE immediately asking for advice. They basically called me a liar and closed my case down! All the cornus are now dead, dug up (along with a host of maturing vine weevil grubs) and have been destroyed. I’m now concerned that the rest of my garden is at risk from these pesky pests and have asked GE to compensate me. NO REPLY! 
This company should be fully investigated and ideally, closed down. If enough of us get together and bombard Citizens Advice we should be able to put an end to a seriously dodgy online retailer before more serious pests and diseases are inadvertently bought into our gardens. 
All together now. Thankyou. Ruth. 

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,307
    Blimey, someone is having a dramatic Saturday morning. If only we demanded the closure of companies for three dodgy plants...goodness me. I haven't shopped from them, but don't you think this is a mad overreaction? You were after a bargain and you got burned...now asking for their head on a spike, a little of displacement in action, I think. Just calm down and get some nematodes to tread the ground, after all you're responsible for planting them in the first place, could have kept them in the pots for a bit longer to make sure they were healthy. But sometimes gardening has its downsides, we bite the bullet and move on. And if you manage to find someone at your depleted, by austerity cuts, local council to take on your case, good luck to you. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,853
    There have been similar messages posted here before.
    e.g. https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1015729/gardening-express-cant-believe-ive-fallen-for-it-again

If you use the Search feature on this forum for Gardening Express, you'll find similar messages.

If you paid by Credit Card, your card issuer will probably give you a refund if you contact them.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,848
    If you go for the bargain basement plant buying it's best to do it in garden centres, then you can examine the goods and see if it's worth the risk. 
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    Did you not think to read the reviews before you purchased?? if you had maybe you would of gone to a more reputable retailer in the first place.

Sorry we pays our money and takes a chance.

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,273
    Citizens Advice is largely staffed by volunteers. I suggest you take it up with Trading Standards at your local council. They get paid to deal with stuff.
    Devon.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,658
    I've never heard of them, but thanks for the warning.
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 4,039
    Can’t you throw the vine weevils into the garden of the neighbour you dislike?
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,135
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 2,267
    I was happy with my order from them. Every online company has some dissatisfied and some satisfied buyers. Some are better than others. Luckily we live in capitalism and everyone can read reviews and decide if they want a bargain and some risk or high price and no risk (which is usually an illusion only anyway).
    I don't want to live in a world where the government have the power to close companies with bad quality control or bad customer service. Cheaters, yes, but not this type of companies.
    There are other ways how to deal with problems. Your payment method is your first line of defence.
  • I've had plants from then once and 2 of the plants were dead, but I just put it down to being unfortunate. But the other plants were fine, but note to myself I certainly wouldnt buy from them again. Pay the price of decent plants from reputable company, or even better the garden centre as you'll get a guarantee with the plant.