Forum home The potting shed

What is it that you like about gardening?

Todays been a bit windy and a day for wearing a jumper,
I took half an hour away from the border i was planting verious flowers in when a couple called who've just arrived here in france and we two men folk sat and talked about what i liked ref gardening,
Well its a hobby you can do as a complete loner or as part of a group,
The fresh air and without really thinking about it your keeping your body moving in all directions,
And its that deafening sound of silence that you know is there and then the birds start to sing in the tree's,
Even weeding, I find weeding very relaxing and its not long after you start the weeding you soon find the bucket's full and your amazed at the amount you've removed" It didnt look like that many needed removing.
Even the start of the day when i can be found walking around the the garden a cup of coffee in hand inspecting what natures delivered over night "a bulb pushing through" the first rose opening, and then into the green house and again whats showing through the seed compost today or whats needing to be repotted etc, (And the half cup of coffee's gone cold)
For me the garden is not just something todo It's more its a place to think, a place to enjoy and a place i should really spend more time relaxing in
But i dont Ive always another new idea to try or a question to try and find the answer.

How do you see your gardening experience?

• Andy19Andy19 Posts: 666
    Everything just being outside no phone's or tv peace and quiet and a good workout without paying for going to a gym. The satisfaction of a lovely garden throughout the year and harvesting your own crops far better than anything you buy in the shop's.
  • SandygardenSandygarden Posts: 112
    It gives it gives me a chance to be creative. I can’t draw or sew and cooking bores me, but I can create something beautiful in the garden.
  • Hi Sandy,
    Thanks for your reply,
    A question for you, you say you cant draw !!!!
    Take a look at what you've done with the blank canvas called a garden, you planted the flowers etc and its a form of painting but with plants and not paint and if you ever take a few photo's ??? Again now thats another part of gardening we never thought we'd have any interest in, and cooking!!!!! I bet you know the difference in taste to home grown toms/lettuce etc as to those the big stores are offering.?
    And more important you know how these veg are grown "what was used to get them to harvest time but more important "What was'nt used.

Have a day Sandy.
  • Andy19 said:
    Everything just being outside no phone's or tv peace and quiet and a good workout without paying for going to a gym. The satisfaction of a lovely garden throughout the year and harvesting your own crops far better than anything you buy in the shop's.

It gives it gives me a chance to be creative. I can’t draw or sew and cooking bores me, but I can create something beautiful in the garden.

Hi Sandy,
    Thanks for your reply,
    Take a look at what you've done with the blank canvas called a garden, you planted the flowers etc and its a form of painting but with plants and not paint and if you ever take a few photo's ??? Again now thats another part of gardening we never thought we'd have any interest in, and cooking!!!!! I bet you know the difference in taste to home grown toms/lettuce etc as to those the big stores are offering.?
    And more important you know how these veg are grown "what was used to get them to harvest time but more important "What was'nt used.

Have a day Sandy.

Hi Sandy,
    Thanks for your reply,

Have a day Sandy.

Andy19 said:

Hi Andy,
    Your bang on ref the outdoors,
    I spent a lot of my working life in HM FORCES and while serving in northern ireland
    (5 tours) i liked nothing better than the out of the way countryside and i did see some really good growing going on and found some really strange ideas for use in growing things,
    One i saw i use until this very day and its an old metal collender (hope ive spelt that ok) its one of those kitchen devices you wash veg in etc,
    you get them for next to now't on the car boot sales,
    Well this old irish farmer had one hanging outside his kitchen door full of cherry tomato's and another by his window with herbs (mint) in it,
    When you think of it its ready for use, the holes are already in the bowl shape and for the sake of fixing a few chains to the handles on both sides !!!! your ready to go, also makes good bird feeders,
    Just shows you the things we can all learn from all folks.

Hi Sandy,
    Thanks for your reply,

Have a day Sandy.

• islander said:
    Very simple and nothing like what is above, for me. Planting to eat. i was a war baby and we grew and grew. Here the old tradition is the same.  Flowers amid the vegetables to feed the eyes and soul. Nothing exotic. living close to the earth that feeds us. When I lived on a North sea island, I had a huge vegetable garden , hens and ducks and geese, a goat for milk and cheese...Jacob's sheep for wool. Nothing idealistic ,,, just the way we lived and the way I live now. 

Hi islander, And thanks for the reply,
    As im replying to you ive the music from the Irish pub radio on and its the Black velvet band playing, (dont tell anyone i have this radio site on every time im on the PC it reminds me of my childhood and the street full of kids,
    Im of the same thought ref why i garden as you,
    i love the countryside and as both my folks did come from ireland and we lived in an area in Liverpool next to the docks in 1945 ( i was born 1949) that hitler loved to bomb, lots of old building to play in as kids but not much of the green stuff,
    we lived in a time when even then food was still up & down ref what you could buy hence you ate "All" that was on your plate and any gardening that was done could'nt be done on concrete and so the old railway signal box was the only grassed area and used by somebody to grow rhubarb and spuds,
    Those days and times made me what i am today and i thank who ever looks after us for that fact, good honest and easy to please people.
    Nice to here from you,

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,367
    @dannyandshaz There’s no need to quote everything, even less need to quote it twice 
    you can use the hash tag to get soonest attention.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• DyersEndDyersEnd Posts: 730
    Or maybe just mention the person's name when you're replying to a specific post. It makes reading your replies quite time consuming otherwise.
  • Dyersend,
    I will infuture mention a name if you feel your using time to read anything i write,
    If one and only one thing we all have in common, ie The POPE, the queen, you , me,

Its time and not very many of us know how much of this valued part of life we have,

Dyerend,
    Im in no hurry and i'll always take the time needed to read and understand any subject some person has taken the time to write.
  • NanabooNanaboo Posts: 1,057
    I love to be in the outdoors. I love to open my little plastic greenhouse and see what has just popped it's head above the soil, how things have grown have grown bigger over night. I love it when I can get my hands in the soil and plant things be it flowers or veg. I'm looking forward to my first crop of home grown fruit and veg that have Zero miles to have travelled to my plate and love the fact that I have not added to polluting the air by going by car to buy them. I love being alive to enjoy all these things.
  • He Dee,
    A really nice reply, Infact ive just come in the  house from the greenhouse and like you ive been  "As her who must be obeyed says"     Pottering,

Ive added a 6ft piece of plastic guttering to the staging inside the greenhouse and its filled with compost and peas, they are all showing now and when they're large enough i'll slide the pea's out of the gutter and into the garden so they'll carry on climbing and growing,

The guttering takes up next to no space and is a handy greenhouse addition,
    Cheap, easy to clean and last a life time.

I agree "Nothing better than being a happy bunny and enjoying the garden and all it has to offer.