Forum home Plants

G W coming on soon

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,148
    Loxley said:
    I will stick to less emotionally fraught threads in future, like the Covid 19 one!
    Just make sure to press that ignore button on it  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,233
    @Loxley - there are different groups of heathers from callunas to ericas and more which will tolerate and/or thrive in different growing conditions.  Some like good drainage and some like boggy moorland conditions.   Winter flowering forms are OK in more alkaline conditions. 

As far as I know, all the azaleas and rhododendrons like acid conditions so I expect Monty's is in a pot or a specially prepared acid bed.   

As for Monty bashing, given that Beeb declares GW to be a "flagship" gardening show I expect it to be accurate at all times and whilst I recognise that the production and topics covered may not be Monty's choice, what he says and does should be correct, timely and informative.  Unfortunately, he gets it wrong sometimes - quite a lot according to some experts.

Still worth recording tho for the good bits.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • newbie77newbie77 LondonPosts: 423
    edited 19 October
    Rhodendrons and azalea like acidic soil but they can grow in neutral slightly alkaline soil too. In many gardens in my area i have seen good size rhodendrons and azaleas growing near hydrangeas which flowers pink. Also Camelias and Acers. I guess some people just plant what they like, and with some care plants grow well despite not the exact preferred soil.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,054
    At 9pm, last but one programme in the current series .

" At Longmeadow, Monty shares his tips on how to feed the birds over the coming months, plants raspberries both in the ground and in a pot, and makes a start on lifting his tender salvias.

Joe Swift visits a nurseryman in Essex who loves to experiment with ornamental grasses, and Arit Anderson meets Fergus Garrett, head gardener at Great Dixter, to discover how the planting and garden management have increased biodiversity.

The programme meets a couple in Staffordshire with a particular fondness for Japanese maples and a man whose love of dahlias has taken over his back garden in Stockport. Plus what viewers have been doing in their own gardens. "

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,233
    It'll be recorded as neither OH nor Possum think gardening is good evening TV.  That means I can FF Joe Swift and ornamental (not for me) grasses but I look forward to Arit's visit to Great Dixter and Fergus.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Last episode of the series, 9pm.

" In the final programme from Longmeadow this year, Monty harvests his pumpkins, plants bulbs in a pot and has plenty of jobs we can be getting on with over the coming weeks.

Frances Tophill travels to Winkworth Arboretum in Surrey to celebrate the season and to explain the science behind the golden and red tones of autumn leaves. The team takes inspiration from RHS Harlow Carr and has a look at their winter borders and the plants which will add interest and drama to gardens over the coming months.

There is a second chance to meet a woman who has inspired a generation of young people and taught them gardening skills from her garden in the West Midlands, and the show revisits Hampshire twins Stuart and Ian Paton to find out what it takes to grow record-breaking pumpkins.

And revel in the films of the gardens and gardening tips viewers have shared this year."

• WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 739
    Well it's a sad Saturday morning with no Gardener's world to look forward to till next spring 😭😭 Despite the bits im not too bothered by we never miss an episode and still call it our "TV highlight of the week". Certainly a moment in the week of gentle, kind TV that I thoroughly enjoy. Hope the whole team behind the program enjoy a good winter despite the turmoil all around and come back next spring to provide my shield against all the bad stuff. 👍👍👍👍
  • BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 793
    When does it start up again - March?
    Usually yes, @Biglad, towards the end of the month l think.